You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Man held for matricide

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

A 32-year-old engineer has been arrested for allegedly killing his mother after she refused to give money for drugs, police said today.

The accused, Animesh Jha, was planning to flee to but was arrested from railway station yesterday, police said.

"He had completed his graduation in Computer Engineering from Malaysian University. He was also working at Norton, Four days before the he was released by the Police who had arrested him in a drugs case," DCP (Southwest) Surender Kumar said.

Animesh allegedly killed his mother Meeta Jha on February 24 since she refused to give him money for purchasing drugs.

He was also worried that his mother might sell their Dwarka flat and not give him the money she will get.

Meeta was woken up by Animesh around 3.30 AM who asked her for money.

He told her that he would not be able to survive without drugs and urgently needed money. When she refused, he allegedly banged her head against the wall and then strangled her with a rope.

Four days later, Animesh's sister, who lives in London, called police.

She told police that neither her mother nor her brother were answering their phones. She suspected that her brother might have harmed their mother.

When police team reached the location, Meeta's body was found on February 28.

As per the CCTV cameras installed in the areas and at their residence, Animesh was seen leaving his residence around 6.30 AM on the day of the incident.

He went to the Mahavir Enclave market and withdrew Rs 10,000 from an ATM and immediately left for the Kashmiri Gate bus stand.

Jha hopped from one city to another to evade arrest.

He visited 13 cities in seven states including Rishikesh, Patna, Haridwar and Mumbai in 17 days after allegedly killing his mother.

He first went to Rishikesh then Haridwar then Mumbai, where he created an account on a social media website to contact his friends and avoid technical surveillance.

"The police traced his location to Mumbai but before they could reach he changed his location from Chembur (Mumbai) to Andheri (Mumbai) and from there he fled to Patna," said the officer.

He was trying to contact one of his friends through the social media website and wanted to escape to by road as he had drug peddlers as his contacts there, police said.

Being technically sound, he was aware that cops could trace him through his phone location. He was therefore not using his mobile phone, instead was using the STD booths to make phone calls.

Animesh had worked with an anti-virus software company in

His father was a senior manager at TISCO and passed away in 2013 due to health issues and his sister is a doctor based in United Kingdom.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Thu, March 16 2017. 00:57 IST