You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Moscow offers 'safe withdrawal' for armed rebels in Aleppo

AFP  |  Moscow 

today said it was ready to guarantee safe passage for rebels to quit eastern Aleppo with their weapons, amid fierce Western criticism of its bombing campaign.

"We are ready to ensure the safe withdrawal of armed rebels, the unimpeded passage of civilians to and from eastern Aleppo, as well as the delivery of humanitarian aid there," Russian Lieutenant General Sergei Rudskoy said in a televised briefing.



The announcement comes as Moscow and gear up for international Syria talks on Saturday, the first since the United States suspended ceasefire negotiations with in protest at the fierce assault on Aleppo.

Moscow -- which is backing Syrian regime forces -- first announced in late July the creation of corridors for civilians and armed rebels to leave eastern Aleppo, but the plan was viewed by some as a cynical ploy to force the evacuation of the city and failed to work.

Rudskoy said that the Syrian army has already offered to guarantee the safety of armed rebels wishing to leave Aleppo using the Castello Road, the main route for humanitarian assistance into the divided city.

He added that was ready to hear "all initiatives and proposals" that would ensure rebels' safe withdrawal.

A brutal government offensive against rebel-held eastern Aleppo backed up by Russian airpower has plunged Syria into some of the worst violence it has seen since the five-year-old conflict erupted.

An international monitor said Syrian and Russian warplanes carried out fresh strikes on rebel-held districts of Aleppo early today, after an intense bombardment over the previous two days killed more than 70 civilians.

Russia's defence ministry today denied that its airforce was bombing Aleppo at all.

"I want to stress that Russian planes are conducting targeted, single air strikes against pre-verified targets outside the city of Aleppo and outside residential areas," Rudskoy said.

earlier this month pulled the plug on talks with Moscow on ways to revive a short-lived ceasefire that unravelled in September.

The West has accused Moscow and Damascus of committing potential war crimes in the operations against eastern Aleppo.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Moscow offers 'safe withdrawal' for armed rebels in Aleppo

Russia today said it was ready to guarantee safe passage for rebels to quit eastern Aleppo with their weapons, amid fierce Western criticism of its bombing campaign. "We are ready to ensure the safe withdrawal of armed rebels, the unimpeded passage of civilians to and from eastern Aleppo, as well as the delivery of humanitarian aid there," Russian Lieutenant General Sergei Rudskoy said in a televised briefing. The announcement comes as Moscow and Washington gear up for international Syria talks on Saturday, the first since the United States suspended ceasefire negotiations with Russia in protest at the fierce assault on Aleppo. Moscow -- which is backing Syrian regime forces -- first announced in late July the creation of corridors for civilians and armed rebels to leave eastern Aleppo, but the plan was viewed by some as a cynical ploy to force the evacuation of the city and failed to work. Rudskoy said that the Syrian army has already offered to guarantee the safety of armed ... today said it was ready to guarantee safe passage for rebels to quit eastern Aleppo with their weapons, amid fierce Western criticism of its bombing campaign.

"We are ready to ensure the safe withdrawal of armed rebels, the unimpeded passage of civilians to and from eastern Aleppo, as well as the delivery of humanitarian aid there," Russian Lieutenant General Sergei Rudskoy said in a televised briefing.

The announcement comes as Moscow and gear up for international Syria talks on Saturday, the first since the United States suspended ceasefire negotiations with in protest at the fierce assault on Aleppo.

Moscow -- which is backing Syrian regime forces -- first announced in late July the creation of corridors for civilians and armed rebels to leave eastern Aleppo, but the plan was viewed by some as a cynical ploy to force the evacuation of the city and failed to work.

Rudskoy said that the Syrian army has already offered to guarantee the safety of armed rebels wishing to leave Aleppo using the Castello Road, the main route for humanitarian assistance into the divided city.

He added that was ready to hear "all initiatives and proposals" that would ensure rebels' safe withdrawal.

A brutal government offensive against rebel-held eastern Aleppo backed up by Russian airpower has plunged Syria into some of the worst violence it has seen since the five-year-old conflict erupted.

An international monitor said Syrian and Russian warplanes carried out fresh strikes on rebel-held districts of Aleppo early today, after an intense bombardment over the previous two days killed more than 70 civilians.

Russia's defence ministry today denied that its airforce was bombing Aleppo at all.

"I want to stress that Russian planes are conducting targeted, single air strikes against pre-verified targets outside the city of Aleppo and outside residential areas," Rudskoy said.

earlier this month pulled the plug on talks with Moscow on ways to revive a short-lived ceasefire that unravelled in September.

The West has accused Moscow and Damascus of committing potential war crimes in the operations against eastern Aleppo.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

image
Business Standard
177 22

Moscow offers 'safe withdrawal' for armed rebels in Aleppo

today said it was ready to guarantee safe passage for rebels to quit eastern Aleppo with their weapons, amid fierce Western criticism of its bombing campaign.

"We are ready to ensure the safe withdrawal of armed rebels, the unimpeded passage of civilians to and from eastern Aleppo, as well as the delivery of humanitarian aid there," Russian Lieutenant General Sergei Rudskoy said in a televised briefing.

The announcement comes as Moscow and gear up for international Syria talks on Saturday, the first since the United States suspended ceasefire negotiations with in protest at the fierce assault on Aleppo.

Moscow -- which is backing Syrian regime forces -- first announced in late July the creation of corridors for civilians and armed rebels to leave eastern Aleppo, but the plan was viewed by some as a cynical ploy to force the evacuation of the city and failed to work.

Rudskoy said that the Syrian army has already offered to guarantee the safety of armed rebels wishing to leave Aleppo using the Castello Road, the main route for humanitarian assistance into the divided city.

He added that was ready to hear "all initiatives and proposals" that would ensure rebels' safe withdrawal.

A brutal government offensive against rebel-held eastern Aleppo backed up by Russian airpower has plunged Syria into some of the worst violence it has seen since the five-year-old conflict erupted.

An international monitor said Syrian and Russian warplanes carried out fresh strikes on rebel-held districts of Aleppo early today, after an intense bombardment over the previous two days killed more than 70 civilians.

Russia's defence ministry today denied that its airforce was bombing Aleppo at all.

"I want to stress that Russian planes are conducting targeted, single air strikes against pre-verified targets outside the city of Aleppo and outside residential areas," Rudskoy said.

earlier this month pulled the plug on talks with Moscow on ways to revive a short-lived ceasefire that unravelled in September.

The West has accused Moscow and Damascus of committing potential war crimes in the operations against eastern Aleppo.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

image
Business Standard
177 22

Upgrade To Premium Services

Welcome User

Business Standard is happy to inform you of the launch of "Business Standard Premium Services"

As a premium subscriber you get an across device unfettered access to a range of services which include:

  • Access Exclusive content - articles, features & opinion pieces
  • Weekly Industry/Genre specific newsletters - Choose multiple industries/genres
  • Access to 17 plus years of content archives
  • Set Stock price alerts for your portfolio and watch list and get them delivered to your e-mail box
  • End of day news alerts on 5 companies (via email)
  • NEW: Get seamless access to WSJ.com at a great price. No additional sign-up required.
 

Premium Services

In Partnership with

 

Dear Guest,

 

Welcome to the premium services of Business Standard brought to you courtesy FIS.
Kindly visit the Manage my subscription page to discover the benefits of this programme.

Enjoy Reading!
Team Business Standard