You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Musharraf blames Sharif for Pak Army's withdrawal from Kargil

Press Trust of India  |  Islamabad 

Pakistan's former dictator has attacked and blamed the ousted for withdrawing from Kargil in 1999 under pressure from when the was in a "dominating position".

Musharraf, who was the during the Kargil War, also demanded that Sharif should be tried for treason for his controversial remarks on the 2008 terror attack.

The 74-year-old retired general, facing a slew of cases in Pakistan, has been living in since last year when he was allowed to leave the country for medical treatment.

While reacting to Sharif's statement on the attack, Musharraf, the of the All Muslim League, also talked about the Kargil War, blaming withdrawal of the on Sharif.

Elaborating on the war and its happenings, he said that Pakistan was in a dominating position in five different fronts in the war, and that the then-was briefed on the situation at least two times.

He rejected Sharif's claims that he was not taken into confidence about the withdrawal of the from Kargil.

"He kept asking me whether we should withdraw," said Musharraf in his video statement.

The former also said that then-and of the time Chaudhry Shujaat had opposed the withdrawal of the army.

But, he said Sharif issued the order to withdraw the army from Kargil when he visited the US. Musharraf claimed Sharif was "put under pressure" by the

"He (Sharif) blamed the whole thing on me," the former said.

On Sharif's statement on the terror attack, Musharraf said that holding the Pakistani establishment and the army responsible was extremely disappointing.

In the message, Musharraf derided Sharif for his comments about Pakistan's involvement in the 2008 attacks which took the lives of 166 people, saying that Sharif should be tried for treason under Article 6 of the Constitution for his comments.

He also called the former a "traitor" for defaming and the establishment on the world stage.

The video message was released as a response to Sharif's allegations about the involvement of "non-state actors" in the Mumbai attack.

Yesterday, had condemned Sharif's statement as "fallacious" about the Mumbai terror attack and termed it as "incorrect and misleading".

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Tue, May 15 2018. 20:20 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU