You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

New Zealand to probe deadly SAS raid in Afghanistan

AFP  |  Wellington 

ordered a top-level inquiry today into allegations its special forces killed six civilians, including a three-year-old child, during a botched 2010 raid on an Afghan village.

The military vehemently denies the accusations, which were first made in a book "Hit and Run" published last year.

The book alleged an elite SAS squad staged the raid as a "revenge attack" after a soldier was killed, but faulty meant it targeted villagers rather than insurgents.

It also claimed the military covered up the raid's failure, falsely saying nine insurgents had died when it knew otherwise.

The centre-left called for an independent inquiry while in opposition and reviewed the case following last year's election win.

Parker today appointed former and to head the probe.

"Bearing in mind the need for the public to have confidence in the NZDF, I have decided in the public interest that an inquiry is warranted," he said.

Parker said he had seen video of the raid suggesting there were "armed individuals" in the village but the footage was not conclusive, hence the need for the inquiry.

It will examine the conduct of troops during the raid, whether those killed were insurgents or civilians and the accuracy of military briefings given to the public and the government.

It is expected to take up to a year.

The Defence Force chief, General Tim Keating, said he stood by earlier statements about the raid.

"At all times throughout this operation our NZSAS acted professionally and conducted themselves to the high standards expected of our special forces," he said.

sent a reconstruction team and a small special forces contingent to join the NATO-led operation in in 2003.

In early August 2010, became the first of New Zealand's 10 military deaths in when his patrol was hit by a roadside bomb.

The SAS raid in the northern province of Baghlan, carried out with US helicopter support, took place about two weeks later on August 22.

In the following days Mohammad Ismail, a for Tala Wa Barfak, where the incident occurred, told AFP that eight people died in the raid, all civilians.

The military initially kept silent about its involvement, then said nine insurgents were killed and no civilians harmed.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Wed, April 11 2018. 12:35 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU