You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

No extradition request with MEA for Dawood, Hafiz Saeed: RTI

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

The Ministry of External Affairs has said it has not received any request so far for extradition of 26/11 attack mastermind and 1993 bombings accused Dawood Ibrahim from the agencies probing them.

The ministry was responding to an RTI query seeking to know the action taken by the for bringing back Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Saeed and gangster Ibrahim.


"The ministry of external affairs has not received any request for extradition/deportation/return in respect of Hafiz Sayeed and Dawood Ibrahim from the investigating agencies concerned in India," it said.

Ibrahim is the main accused in the 1993 serial bomb blasts case in in which around 260 people were killed, and more than 700 were injured. He fled the country post the bombings and is understood to be hiding in at present.

Saeed, also the co-founder of Pakistan-based Lashkar-e- Taiba terror group, is accused of plotting the militant attack in on November 26, 2008, in which 166 people were killed by a group of terrorists who had entered the city through a sea route.

In April, Home Minister Rajnath Singh had stated that there was no doubt that Dawood was still in During the last 10 years, has sent several dossiers to in this regard, saying Ibrahim is the key accused in the serial bomb blasts case.

In 2011, P Chidambaram, the then home minister in the UPA government, had stated that Ibrahim was based in Karachi. He had also said that would continue to push its case to bring to justice the people who had planned the 2008 attack.

has for long been advocating an extradition treaty among SAARC countries to ensure quick action against those involved in terrorist activities.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Sun, May 14 2017. 14:02 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU