You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

No justice in Mecca Masjid blast case: Owaisi

Press Trust of India  |  Hyderabad 

today alleged that the 2007 Masjid blast case in which all the five accused facing trial were acquitted, had not been pursued properly by anti-terror investigative agency

Hyderabad member Owaisi alleged on a that most of the witnesses in the Masjid blast case had turned hostile after June 2014 and the either didn't pursue the case as was expected from it or was not allowed by its political masters to do so.

Asserting that "justice hasn't been done in the case," Owassi said "questions would be raised over the criminal justice system (of the country) if such biased prosecutions continue."

The alleged that the did not even appeal against the given to the accused earlier.

"Justice has not been done, the & the Modi govt didn't even appeal against the that was given to the accused within 90 days. This was a complete biased investigation which will weaken our resolve to fight terrorism," said Owaisi, recaling that nine persons had died and many more were injured in the 2007 blast.

A special court here today acquitted five persons, including Swami Aseemanand, in the case. Nine persons had been killed and 58 injured in the blast.

Ten persons were named as accused in the case but only five of them were arrested and sent up for trial.

The five who faced trial included Devendra Gupta, Lokesh Sharma, alias Naba Kumar Sarkar, alias Bharat Bhai and

Two other accused in the case, and are still absconding, while another accused had died.

The NISA is still probing the case against the two absconding remaining accused.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Mon, April 16 2018. 15:45 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU