You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Pak: Punjab govt restores security of Mumbai attack mastermind Saeed

Press Trust of India  |  Lahore 

The government of Pakistan's province has restored the security of attack citing threats to his life, almost a month after it was withdrawn on the order of the

"The policemen have been deployed again for the security of on the order of (chief minister) Shahbaz Sharif's government," a of the told today. He said the decision was taken in the light of threats to the life of Saeed.

As the government restored Saeed's security, he has withdrawn a petition he had filed in the to challenge the government's earlier decision to withdraw his security.

The last month had withdrawn policemen deployed for the security of Saeed after the directed inspector-generals of and all four provinces to take back security escorts from people who are not entitled to it.

The chief justice, however, later directed the top provincial police officials to ensure the provision of security to all those who face genuine security threats.

In the light of the order, the have withdrawn as many as 4,610 personnel deployed for the security of influential persons not entitled to official security in the province.

In a petition filed through his A K Dogar, Saeed said the on the pretext of the apex court order has withdrawn his security. He said the Supreme Court had ordered that the security of those facing life threats should not be withdrawn.

"But the government made a wrong interpretation of the Supreme Court order in my case and has withdrawn my security despite threats to my life," Saeed said.

The founder of Lashkar-e-Taiba, who carries a USD 10 million American bounty for his role in terror activities, accused the government of discrimination in his case.

The JuD usually makes elaborate arrangements for the security of Saeed wherever he goes. Even at home, the JuD special squad has been given the task of his security.

Saeed is accused of masterminding the 2008 terror attack in which 166 people were killed. JuD was declared as a foreign terrorist organisation by the US in June, 2014.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Fri, May 18 2018. 17:25 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU