You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Perez stays at Force India for fifth season

Press Trust of India  |  Singapore 

Mexican driver Sergio Perez will stay at Force alongside Frenchman Esteban Ocon for the 2018 Formula 1 season.

Perez, who is set for a fifth season with the Silverstone squad, had said earlier in the week that he had two options for next year.


Force announced an unchanged line-up for 2018, hours before the Grand Prix.

"Staying with Sahara Force was always my priority. It's a team that has allowed me to show my talent as a driver and I feel very happy here. I'm proud of everything we have already achieved together and I think there is more to come," said Perez.

"The team has done an amazing job this year to develop the car and establish our position as the fourth best team in Formula One. In the end it was an easy decision to continue our journey together," he added.

Perez has won four out of the five podiums in the team's history. He is currently fourth in the driver standings with 58 points, three points ahead of teammate Ocon.

Team principal Vijay Mallya said Perez has played an important role in Force India's progress which saw the team finishing an unprecedented fourth in 2016.

"Sergio has played an important role in our success story over the last few years. Since joining us in 2014, he has matured to become one of the quickest and most consistent drivers on the grid. His track record speaks for itself as the most successful Force driver ever with four podiums," said Mallya.

"Alongside Esteban, retaining Sergio gives us stability going into next season and one of the most exciting driver pairings in Formula 1," he added.

Williams, Toro Rosso, McLaren and Sauber are yet to announce their driver line-up for the next season.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Sun, September 17 2017. 16:22 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU