ALSO READClashes as IS-linked gunmen seek new Philippine base: military Manila hails US move to blacklist local IS-linked groups Pro-IS militants continue fierce fight in Philippines' Marawi Philippines military identifies new 'IS leader' in Southeast Asia Philippines arrests Indonesian wife of slain Marawi militant
The Philippine military said today it had killed at least eight Islamic militants in an operation to stop jihadist efforts to set up base in the country's south following the deadly five-month siege of Marawi city last year.
Armoured vehicles and artillery were used against about 50 gunmen from the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) on Mindanao island on Thursday, local military spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Gerry Bisana said in a report.
The military said last month that gunmen linked to the Islamic State group have renewed an armed campaign to set up a caliphate in the region, home to the Catholic nation's Muslim minority.
Bisana said troops recovered the bodies of eight gunmen, although they believe the militants carried off 15 other dead comrades.
He added that a soldier was also wounded in the fighting near the town of Datu Saudi Ampatuan.
"Soldiers have been vigilantly guarding the entire central Mindanao in order to constrict the firefight in specific... areas, and continue to pursue the remnants of the terror group," regional military chief Major-General Arnel dela Vega said.
The BIFF is a splinter group of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), the country's largest Muslim guerrilla force that signed a peace treaty with Manila in 2014 after a decades-long armed campaign that claimed more than 100,000 lives by official estimates.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)