You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Planned Aleppo truce enough to rescue injured: UN

AFP  |  Geneva 

A temporary break in fighting in Aleppo will be long enough to safely evacuate 200 wounded from the devastated east of the Syrian city, UN envoy Staffan de Mistura has said.

His comments came yesterday, hours after announced it would extend a promised eight-hour truce in Aleppo today, to 11 hours to allow civilians and rebels to leave the city's rebel-held east.


"It is enough (time), if we work quickly, for a medical evacuation" of 200 injured people who need urgent medical attention, de Mistura said in an interview with Swiss RTS television.

He didn't say whether the pause in fighting would be sufficient to bring in humanitarian aid to the 275,000 people whom the United Nations believes are besieged in the city.

The truce is due to begin at 8:00 am (0500 GMT).

De Mistura confirmed that he was willing to travel to the area and accompany fighters from Al-Nusra, Al-Qaeda's affiliate in Syria, out of east Aleppo, as he had suggested last week.

"I cannot give political guarantees... But the you can be assured that I will work to help them," he said.

The Syrian regime and its ally launched an offensive on September 22 aimed at seizing the city's east, held by rebels since 2012.

The bombardments have left around 400 people dead, according to the UN.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Thu, October 20 2016. 03:28 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU