You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Portal for complaints on sexual abuse videos developed:SC told

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

The Centre has informed the Supreme that an has been developed and certain like anonymous reporting of child pornography, and gangrape content is being offered from today.

The also told the apex that facility like of cyber complaints, which would be forwarded to the concerned police authorities for appropriate action, would also be made available.

It said that the portal, with the access name -, was "undergoing and has been deployed in staging environment for testing and trial".

It told a bench comprising Justices and U U Lalit that this portal was expected to be fully operational soon.

"It is also stated that certain other are likely to be made operational by February 10, 2018 with regard to providing status update of complaints to registered complainants, portal access to other stakeholders willing to register for providing inputs on child pornography/rape/gang content and maintaining hash tag of obscene content," the bench noted in its order.

The was also informed that Ministry of Home Affairs has identified keywords for child pornography, and gang content search and a list of keywords in English language has been compiled and circulated to content providers for further action.

"Efforts are being made to update the list on regular basis. It is orally submitted before us that the keywords in other languages will also be taken up for consideration in due course of time," the bench noted.

It posted the matter for hearing on February 15 so that it could be made aware of the progress made by the Centre in this regard. The bench has been holding in-camera hearing on this matter.

The apex had earlier directed the Centre to have a ready by today to enable citizens lodge complaints on child sexual abuse, and gangrape videos.

The was hearing the matter following a letter sent in 2015 to then by Hyderabad-based NGO Prajwala, along with two videos in a pen-drive. The had on its own taken cognisance of the letter and asked the CBI to launch a probe to apprehend the culprits.

Earlier, cyber security officials who function under the CBI, had told the bench that internet was a "wild highway" and blocking objectionable content at the source was a technical challenge for which clear guidelines needed to be issued to stop circulation of such material.

The NGO's letter had also mooted the idea of maintaining a national sex offenders' register which should contain details of persons convicted for offences like eve-teasing, stalking, molestation and other sexual assaults.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Wed, January 10 2018. 20:25 IST