You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Rebuilt Mahad bridge may open for public on June 5: Patil

Press Trust of India  |  Mumbai 

The work of rebuilding the British-era Mahad bridge, which had collapsed in August last year and claimed around 30 lives, is almost done and it is likely to be opened for public from June 5 this year.

Public Works Department (PWD) Minister gave this information to reporters.


"The bridge is almost ready and we hope to open it for public on June 5. The bridge will be inaugurated by Union Minister and chief Uddhav Thackeray," he informed.

Patil was speaking after a review meeting held here with Gadkari and the authorities of the National Authority of (NHAI).

"The state has spent around Rs 27 crore on rebuilding the bridge," he said.

When asked whether the would also denotify state in the backdrop of the Supreme ban on outlets along the highways, Patil said, "We do not have any such plans and in Mumbai, it was just the Western and Eastern Expressways that were transferred to MMRDA."

"We also do not have any plans of denotifying the Sion-Panvel highway," he said.

The British-era Mahad bridge across the River Savitri on the Mumbai-Goa highway, collapsed on August 2, taking with it two buses and two private vehicles, carrying over 40 persons.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU