You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Salem moves ECHR seeking to call him back to Portugal

Press Trust of India  |  Mumbai 

Gangster Abu Salem, convicted for his role in the 1993 blasts case, has moved a European Union in a bid to have himself sent back to Portugal from where he was extradited to to face the trial.

Salem moved the European Union months before his conviction in the 1993 blasts case early this week.


"We have moved the European of Human Rights (ECHR), a under European Union seeking his recall to Portugal as there were many violations to his extradition order," his lawyer Sabha Qureshi said.

Salem contended that after the Portugal terminated the 2014 order for his extradition, his entire trial in has become illegal.

Qureshi said it was stipulated in his extradition order that he would not be given death sentence but he was tried for charges which attracted capital punishment.

While permitting his extradition in 2005, the Portugal had said Salem could not be given death sentence.

In his plea to the ECHR, Salem has sought directions to Portugal to take steps for his return.

Qureshi said the has asked Portugal to file its reply.

His lawyers had said despite termination of the extradition, Portugal has not taken any steps to call him back.

Earlier, last month the ECHR had also sought some documents of the 1993 serial terror blast case.

In his application, Salem had also given details of two attempts on his life - one in 2010 by co-accused in 1993 blasts case Mustafa Dossa and a second one by another prisoner.

Salem further contended that he is being tried for those charges which were not mentioned in the treaty.

He said that in Taloja jail, he is being kept in a solitary confinement which is prohibited by ECHR.

He was recently awarded life imprisonment in builder Ajit Deewani case.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Sun, June 18 2017. 18:42 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU