You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

SC stays Madras HC order on thumb impression of J Jayalalithaa

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

The Supreme today stayed a Madras High order directing jail authorities and the to produce records containing the thumb impression of former chief minister

The high court, while dealing with an petition, had on November 24 sought Jayalalithaa's thumb impression details which is available with Bengaluru's Jail and the Unique Identification Authority of (UIDAI). The former chief had died on December 5 last year.

The high had asked the authorities to give the fingerprint details by today in a matter relating to an filed by P Saravanan, a candidate for the November 2016 Thirupparankundram Assembly bypoll, challenging the of AIADMK's A K Bose.

The matter came up for hearing today before a bench comprising Chief Justice and Justices A M Khanwilkar and D Y Chandrachud, which also issued notice to the petitioner before the high and asked him to file a reply within eight weeks.

The bench said there would be "stay of operation" on the high court's order.

Bose has moved the apex against the high court's direction claiming it intruded into the fundamental right to privacy.

"Her death does not make any difference as right to privacy is available to every citizen during his/her life time and even after the death of that person," the plea said.

"The personal details of a third party which will undoubtedly include the finger print could not be divulged by the authorities holding the same without consent of the person to whom it belongs," the plea claimed while seeking an ex- parte stay of the interim order of high

During the pendency of before the high court, Saravanan had filed an additional affidavit, questioning the validity of the documents.

He had alleged that thumb impression of was obtained without her consent and knowledge while she was unconscious, with the "connivance" of the doctors and others who were attending to the former chief minister.

was lodged in the jail after her conviction in the Rs 65.66 crore disproportionate assets case in 2014.

She had subsequently secured bail from the Supreme and was released on October 18, 2014, after spending 21 days in the prison.

The Karnataka High had later acquitted her and three of her associates of all charges, but the Supreme on February 14 this year had set aside the order.

However, since died on December 5 last year, the apex had abated the proceedings against her.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Fri, December 08 2017. 17:20 IST