You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Several affected by chlorine gas leakage

Press Trust of India 

Several people were affected when they inhaled chlorine gas that leaked from a water treatment plant of the city civic body of Belur in the district today, officials said.

The watchman at the pump house at the plant at Gendehalli village near Belur noticed the leakage in the wee hours and informed senior officers of the Town Municipal Council (TMC), who rushed to the spot.


Several residents nearby complained of breathlessness, nausea and burning sensation in the throat and they were asked to move to a safer place, the officials said.

The fire staff and municipal staff of Belur rushed to the spot and evacuated the villagers within 500 metre radius, they said.

Belur TMC Chief Officer B C Basavaraj said he suspected that a small hole in the pipeline may have caused the leakage.

The fire and emergency services stopped the leakage, he said.

Four of the TMC staff were who suffered from breathlessness after inhaling the gas were treated at Hassan Institute of Medical sciences, the officer said.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Tue, May 16 2017. 20:13 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU