You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

South Sudan fighting forces 100,000 to flee, says UN report

AP  |  Nairobi 

The United Nations says a South Sudanese offensive in the Jonglei region has displaced roughly 100,000 civilians, causing aid workers to relocate from an area that has dire humanitarian problems.

A report from the UN's office of humanitarian affairs said that fighting in the Waat and Walgak areas last week caused scores of thousands of civilians to flee, as well as 60 aid workers.


The UN warned the offensive may exacerbate food insecurity in the Jonglei region, which has some areas that are on the brink of famine. Food drops in one area of Jonglei have been suspended, the UN said.

Famine was declared in two countries of South Sudan this February, but aid workers have been blocked from delivering food aid by and rebel forces.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Fri, April 21 2017. 01:32 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU