You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Stone hurled at Rahul's car came from Rajasthan: Guj minister

Press Trust of India  |  Gandhinagar 

Health Minister Shankar Chaudhary today claimed that the stone which was hurled at vice president Rahul Gandhi's car at Dhanera town came from Rajasthan, and it was a "political conspiracy" involving members of the opposition party. Chaudhary was speaking in the Legislative Assembly during a discussion on the steps taken by the following the floods in Banaskantha and Patan districts. "We have learned that the stone was from Stones with such are not found in Dhanera. It seems someone brought it from Rajasthan," said Chaudhary, from Vav in Banaskantha district. On a tour of flood-affected areas in Banaskantha district on August 4, escaped unhurt when a stone was thrown at his car at Dhanera. Gandhi had arrived there after visiting flood-affected areas in Police have arrested four persons including Jayesh Darji, who, the has alleged, is a worker. But the minister claimed that the culprits belonged the "It's possible that someone brought the stone from as a part of political conspiracy.

We are sure those who hurled the stone were from Congress," Chaudhary said. MLAs were not present in the House as they had walked out in protest. Earlier, from Palanpur, Mahesh Patel, had sought to know what steps the was taking to restore normalcy in the flood-hit areas. Out of 51 MLAs, around 20 were present today. Revenue minister Bhupendrasinh Chudasama said the administration had done a commendable job of providing relief. MLAs from Banaskantha, including Deesa Gova Rabari, alleged that several villages were still awaiting relief. Without naming Rahul Gandhi, Rabari said leaders were even attacked when they visited the area. To this, Chudasama said, "Your leader ignored security set-up. Instead of taking a vehicle provided by the government, he travelled in party worker's car. He did it for publicity." When MLAs started shouting slogans in protest, Speaker Ramanlal Vora said the legislators had abandoned their people in the time of need. As the sloganeering continued, the Speaker asked marshals to evict those who were near the Well. Remaining MLAs then walked out in protest. The two-day monsoon session, which ended today, would be the last session of the 13th Assembly, as elections are due by year-end.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Wed, August 09 2017. 21:22 IST