Three farmers died of asphyxiation in a well due to smoke from a motor engine while two others were hospitalised in Daithana village in Jalna district of Maharashtra today, the police said.
The incident occurred this evening after five farmers entered the 60-feet-deep well to install the pump for fetching water for crops.
However, after the pump was switched on it emitted smoke which soon filled the well which has a narrow opening, an official said.
He said three out of five farmers, identified as Babasaheb Wable, his son Rameswhar, and one Arjun Dhande died on the spot, while two others fell unconscious.
The villagers brought out the farmers from the well and admitted them to a private hospital, where three of them were declared brought dead while the two are undergoing treatment.
Farmers typically run the motor engines using kerosene or diesel.
Police are conducting further investigation.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)