Asserting that the presidency is far more important than anything else, US president-elect Donald Trump today said he would hold a news conference on December 15 to announce that he would be leaving his "great" multi-billion business over concerns of conflict of interest.
Trump, 70, who was elected as the 45th president of the US on November 8 said this in a series of tweets this morning. He will be sworn in on January 20.
"I will be holding a major news conference in New York City with my children on December 15 to discuss the fact that I will leave my great business in total in order to fully focus on running the country to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN," Trump announced in a series of tweets.
"While I am not mandated to do this under the law, I feel it is visually important as President, to in no way have a conflict of interest with my various businesses," he said in another tweet.
"Hence, legal documents are being crafted which take me completely out of business operations," he said.
"The Presidency is far more important task," Trump said in another tweet trying to end the controversy surrounding the alleged conflict of interest he would have with his business while he is President of the US.
There is no legal requirement to liquidate assets but past US presidents have set aside their business deals. Trump's rivals have raised repeated concerns this may cause problems in the coming months.
Trump had previously told the New York Times that he was considering separating his two areas of responsibility but was confident he could run both "perfectly".
His three eldest children already hold roles within the Trump empire which boasts golf clubs, office towers and other properties in several countries, including India.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)