You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Two killed in fire at stationery shop-cum-residence

Press Trust of India  |  Thane 

A woman and her five-year-old daughter were killed in a fire at a shop in area of early today, a fire department said. The fire broke out around 4 am in the stationery shop in which the victims used to live, fire station in-charge Eknath Pawar said. On getting information about the blaze, firemen rushed to the spot.

As the shop was locked from inside, they broke open the door to enter the premises engulfed with dense smoke, he said. The fire department personnel found the bodies of (28) and her daughter (5), who apparently died of suffocation, the said. The shop owner, his brother and two toddlers, aged 1 and 2, were rescued from the premises, Pawar said. The cause of the fire was being probed, he said, adding that preliminary findings indicated the blaze occurred due to a short-circuit. The bodies have been sent to a government hospital for a postmortem examination, he added.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Thu, February 15 2018. 11:45 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU