You are here: Home » Current Affairs » News » National
Business Standard

US working with India, Nato to cut off terrorist havens in Pak: Jim Mattis

Trump, while announcing his South Asia policy in August, had criticised Pakistan for providing safe havens to terrorists

Press Trust of India  |  Washington 

Photo: Shutterstock
Photo: Shutterstock

The wants to make sure that there are no terrorist safe havens in and is working with all North Atlantic Treaty Organization (Nato) members and to make do everything to cut the off, Defence Secretary Jim Mattis has said.

He said that President Donald Trump's new South strategy comprised regionalisation, realigning of forces and reinforcing them.


Trump, while announcing his South policy in August, had criticised for providing safe havens to terrorists. The Trump administration since then has been putting pressure on to do more to rein in terror groups.

"What we want to do is start with — from to across the region — is to make certain that everyone's working on the same sheet of music. We want to make certain that no terrorist organisation can find a haven anywhere, and, with a border adjoining Afghanistan, that makes a priority," Mattis said.

As such the is engaging with the Pakistanis, he added.

"We're engaging a whole-of-government effort. We've got international efforts going on. And one of the reasons we brought it up here was to make certain we were all aligned about where we stood on this," the Defence Secretary told reporters at the headquarters in Brussels.

Referring to the discussions he had with other member countries, Mattis said, "It was remarkable alignment about all working together to get to do everything it can to cut the off, the terrorists off."

Asked what is different with the policy this time, Mattis said there were ways that the could reward and ways that the international community can ensure it was held accountable.

"But our principle, going into this, is that we are going to work with and make this work, so that there's no longer a threat coming across the border there," he said.

This is an international effort and not just an American- alone effort, he added.

"So that in itself, that we're aligned internationally, now, with what we're doing, is probably the biggest change," he said.

At the Defence Ministerial meeting, Mattis said he and his colleagues were "orchestrating" their fight against terror.

"Over the two days, I shared with them President Donald Trump's South strategy, which was very well received and firmly supported," he said.

Specifically, to Afghanistan, the reconciliation remains the political goal of Nato's military campaign and our comprehensive approach, Mattis said, adding that the reconciliation must be Afghan-led, with an open door to the Taliban if they choose to stop killing and live by the Afghan Constitution.

"This strategy, carried out by, with and through our Afghan partners and within the coalition framework ensures this regional campaign is politically, fiscally and militarily sustainable," he said.

There is no military campaign that does not have a "political goal", he added.

Mattis said the nations and coalition partners are in the process of finalising troop increases and additional support efforts.

"Over two dozen nations have stated that they intend to raise the troop numbers that they have on the ground there now, including some very small nations, for whom this is the largest overseas deployment they have been engaged in.

"We appreciate their commitment to stabilising the South region," he said.

First Published: Fri, November 10 2017. 11:14 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU