You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Verdict in 3rd fodder scam case agnst Lalu expected this month

Press Trust of India  |  Ranchi 

A special here is expected to pronounce judgement later this month in the third case of multi-crore against related to fraudulent withdrawal of money from treasury in 1990s.

Prasad is lodged in jail after being convicted last month in the second case of over Rs 900 crore linked to illegal withdrawal of money from Deogarh treasury. Special had last Saturday sentenced him to three-and-a-half years in jail in the case.

In all, the 69-year-old RJD faced five cases in the multi-crore in Ranchi and has been convicted in two of them.

Special S S Prasad in Ranchi is expected to pronounce judgement later this month in connection with RC 68A/96 case, pertaining to alleged "fraudulent" withdrawal of Rs 35.62 crore from Treasury in 1990s.

"Trial of 56 accused in the case is over and if the order is reserved tomorrow, judgement may be pronounced this month," a senior said here today.

The said that the matter is listed in the Special for tomorrow.

Prasad is one of the accused in this case.

Lalu was on December 23 last year held guilty in the RC 64A/96 pertaining to fraudulent withdrawal of Rs 89.27 lakh from Deoghar Treasury and was handed 3.5 years imprisonment on January 6 this year after the special Shiv Pal Singh held him guilty in the case.

On September 30, 2013, Prasad was also held guilty in the RC 20A/96 pertaining to illegal withdrawal of Rs 37.7 crore and given five years prison term.

Apart from the above cases, Prasad is also facing charges in the RC 38 A/96 pertaining to alleged illegal withdrawal of Rs 3.97 crore from Dumka Treasury and Rs 184 crore from Doranda Treasury in the early 1990s.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Tue, January 09 2018. 20:35 IST