You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

War widows reject Punjab govt's Rs 50 lakh grant-in-aid

Press Trust of India  |  Chandigarh 

War widows and family members of 1962, 1965 and 1971 war martyrs today rejected Rs 50 lakh special grant-in-aid announced by government and refused to call off their protest.

They continued to stage protest in front of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal's official residence, seeking financial compensation meant for the families of martyred soldiers.



"We reject the special grant-in-aid announced by the government today. We want compensation which we have been demanding for last several months," Gurmeet Singh, son of a 1971 war widow Shinder Kaur, said.

"We will continue with our protest till our demands are met," Singh, who was speaking on the behalf of protesting families and war widows, said.

Several war widows and their family members have been staging protest in front of Badal's residence here since September 27.

They have been demanding financial compensation in lieu of 10 acres of land which was announced in 1975. They said that the state government had told them they could not give land instead assured that the cash compensation would be given.

Badal today announced a special grant-in-aid of Rs 50 lakh to be given to the war widows or their legal heirs, of the valiant soldiers who had laid down their lives in the 1965 and 1971 Indo-Pak wars and 1962 Indo-China war.

A spokesperson of the Chief Minister's Office said a policy had been announced way back in 1975 and over 1,500 war-widows who had applied in time had been allotted up to 10 acres of agricultural land or cash equivalent in lieu of land at the rate notified from time to time.

However, there were nearly 100 cases in which the applicants, for one reason or another, failed to apply within the stipulated cut-off date. Above 100 such cases had applied till the extended cut-off date January 4, 2010.

The spokesperson said the residual agricultural land earmarked for allotment was either locked up in litigation or in unauthorized possession, which rendered it practically impossible for the war widow allottees to take over possession of the land.

Therefore, keeping in view the demands of war-widows and their representatives, the state government had decided to honour the remaining duly verified and deserving cases of war widows with the cash grant.

It was clarified that as in the scheme notified before, the residual land owned by the war-widow would be taken into account on proportionate basis in calculation of the cash-grant.

The grant would be payable in three half yearly installments of Rs 20 lakh, Rs 15 lakh and Rs 15 lakh respectively.

Formal Gazette notification would be issued soon after obtaining the approval of the Council of Ministers and the cash-grant would be disbursed through the Directorate of Sainik Welfare in their ancestral towns and villages etc so as to prevent any inconvenience to the war-widows, the spokesman added.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

War widows reject Punjab govt's Rs 50 lakh grant-in-aid

War widows and family members of 1962, 1965 and 1971 war martyrs today rejected Rs 50 lakh special grant-in-aid announced by Punjab government and refused to call off their protest. They continued to stage protest in front of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal's official residence, seeking financial compensation meant for the families of martyred soldiers. "We reject the special grant-in-aid announced by the government today. We want compensation which we have been demanding for last several months," Gurmeet Singh, son of a 1971 war widow Shinder Kaur, said. "We will continue with our protest till our demands are met," Singh, who was speaking on the behalf of protesting families and war widows, said. Several war widows and their family members have been staging protest in front of Badal's residence here since September 27. They have been demanding financial compensation in lieu of 10 acres of land which was announced in 1975. They said that the state government had told them they ... War widows and family members of 1962, 1965 and 1971 war martyrs today rejected Rs 50 lakh special grant-in-aid announced by government and refused to call off their protest.

They continued to stage protest in front of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal's official residence, seeking financial compensation meant for the families of martyred soldiers.

"We reject the special grant-in-aid announced by the government today. We want compensation which we have been demanding for last several months," Gurmeet Singh, son of a 1971 war widow Shinder Kaur, said.

"We will continue with our protest till our demands are met," Singh, who was speaking on the behalf of protesting families and war widows, said.

Several war widows and their family members have been staging protest in front of Badal's residence here since September 27.

They have been demanding financial compensation in lieu of 10 acres of land which was announced in 1975. They said that the state government had told them they could not give land instead assured that the cash compensation would be given.

Badal today announced a special grant-in-aid of Rs 50 lakh to be given to the war widows or their legal heirs, of the valiant soldiers who had laid down their lives in the 1965 and 1971 Indo-Pak wars and 1962 Indo-China war.

A spokesperson of the Chief Minister's Office said a policy had been announced way back in 1975 and over 1,500 war-widows who had applied in time had been allotted up to 10 acres of agricultural land or cash equivalent in lieu of land at the rate notified from time to time.

However, there were nearly 100 cases in which the applicants, for one reason or another, failed to apply within the stipulated cut-off date. Above 100 such cases had applied till the extended cut-off date January 4, 2010.

The spokesperson said the residual agricultural land earmarked for allotment was either locked up in litigation or in unauthorized possession, which rendered it practically impossible for the war widow allottees to take over possession of the land.

Therefore, keeping in view the demands of war-widows and their representatives, the state government had decided to honour the remaining duly verified and deserving cases of war widows with the cash grant.

It was clarified that as in the scheme notified before, the residual land owned by the war-widow would be taken into account on proportionate basis in calculation of the cash-grant.

The grant would be payable in three half yearly installments of Rs 20 lakh, Rs 15 lakh and Rs 15 lakh respectively.

Formal Gazette notification would be issued soon after obtaining the approval of the Council of Ministers and the cash-grant would be disbursed through the Directorate of Sainik Welfare in their ancestral towns and villages etc so as to prevent any inconvenience to the war-widows, the spokesman added.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

image
Business Standard
177 22

War widows reject Punjab govt's Rs 50 lakh grant-in-aid

War widows and family members of 1962, 1965 and 1971 war martyrs today rejected Rs 50 lakh special grant-in-aid announced by government and refused to call off their protest.

They continued to stage protest in front of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal's official residence, seeking financial compensation meant for the families of martyred soldiers.

"We reject the special grant-in-aid announced by the government today. We want compensation which we have been demanding for last several months," Gurmeet Singh, son of a 1971 war widow Shinder Kaur, said.

"We will continue with our protest till our demands are met," Singh, who was speaking on the behalf of protesting families and war widows, said.

Several war widows and their family members have been staging protest in front of Badal's residence here since September 27.

They have been demanding financial compensation in lieu of 10 acres of land which was announced in 1975. They said that the state government had told them they could not give land instead assured that the cash compensation would be given.

Badal today announced a special grant-in-aid of Rs 50 lakh to be given to the war widows or their legal heirs, of the valiant soldiers who had laid down their lives in the 1965 and 1971 Indo-Pak wars and 1962 Indo-China war.

A spokesperson of the Chief Minister's Office said a policy had been announced way back in 1975 and over 1,500 war-widows who had applied in time had been allotted up to 10 acres of agricultural land or cash equivalent in lieu of land at the rate notified from time to time.

However, there were nearly 100 cases in which the applicants, for one reason or another, failed to apply within the stipulated cut-off date. Above 100 such cases had applied till the extended cut-off date January 4, 2010.

The spokesperson said the residual agricultural land earmarked for allotment was either locked up in litigation or in unauthorized possession, which rendered it practically impossible for the war widow allottees to take over possession of the land.

Therefore, keeping in view the demands of war-widows and their representatives, the state government had decided to honour the remaining duly verified and deserving cases of war widows with the cash grant.

It was clarified that as in the scheme notified before, the residual land owned by the war-widow would be taken into account on proportionate basis in calculation of the cash-grant.

The grant would be payable in three half yearly installments of Rs 20 lakh, Rs 15 lakh and Rs 15 lakh respectively.

Formal Gazette notification would be issued soon after obtaining the approval of the Council of Ministers and the cash-grant would be disbursed through the Directorate of Sainik Welfare in their ancestral towns and villages etc so as to prevent any inconvenience to the war-widows, the spokesman added.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

image
Business Standard
177 22

Upgrade To Premium Services

Welcome User

Business Standard is happy to inform you of the launch of "Business Standard Premium Services"

As a premium subscriber you get an across device unfettered access to a range of services which include:

  • Access Exclusive content - articles, features & opinion pieces
  • Weekly Industry/Genre specific newsletters - Choose multiple industries/genres
  • Access to 17 plus years of content archives
  • Set Stock price alerts for your portfolio and watch list and get them delivered to your e-mail box
  • End of day news alerts on 5 companies (via email)
  • NEW: Get seamless access to WSJ.com at a great price. No additional sign-up required.
 

Premium Services

In Partnership with

 

Dear Guest,

 

Welcome to the premium services of Business Standard brought to you courtesy FIS.
Kindly visit the Manage my subscription page to discover the benefits of this programme.

Enjoy Reading!
Team Business Standard