You are here: Home » Reuters » News
Business Standard

Ford urges 2,900 pickup owners to stop driving after new Takata death

Reuters  |  WASHINGTON 

By David Shepardson

(Reuters) - Motor Co said on Thursday it had confirmed a second death in an older pickup truck caused by a defective of Corp and urged 2,900 owners in to stop driving immediately until they can get replacement parts.

The second largest U.S. automaker said it confirmed in late December that a July 2017 crash death in in a 2006 was caused by a defective inflator. It previously reported a similar death in that occurred in December 2015.

said both deaths occurred with built on the same day installed in 2006 pickups. At least 21 deaths worldwide are linked to the that can rupture and send deadly inside vehicles. The faulty have led to the largest automotive recall in history. The other 19 deaths have occurred in vehicles, most of which were in the

issued a new recall for that had been previously recalled in 2016.

Of the 391,000-plus 2004-2006 vehicles recalled at the time, the new recall announced on Thursday affects 2,900 vehicles. These include 2,700 in the and nearly 200 in The new recall will allow for identification of the 2,900 owners in the highest risk pool.

A said on Thursday the company would conduct a similar recall and stop-drive warning for some 2006 trucks, which were built by and are similar to the

Japanese supplier plans to sell its viable operations to Key Safety Systems, an affiliate of China's Ningo Joyson Electric Corp, for $1.6 billion.

A said the company will make all attempts to ensure it can deliver replacement as soon as possible.

The urged owners to heed Ford's warning. "It is extremely important that all high-risk air bags are tracked down and replaced immediately," NHTSA said.


said it would pay to have vehicles towed to dealerships or send mobile repair teams to owners' homes and provide free loaner vehicles if needed.

said in June that it has recalled, or expected to recall, about 125 million vehicles worldwide by 2019, including more than 60 million in the Some 19 automakers worldwide are impacted.

can explode with excessive force, unleashing inside cars and trucks and have injured more than 200. The defect led to file for bankruptcy protection in June.

In 2017, prosecutors in charged three former senior executives with falsifying test results to conceal the inflator defect. None have come to the to face charges.

Last year, pleaded guilty to wire fraud and was subject to pay a total of $1 billion in criminal penalties in a in connection with the recalls.

Automakers have struggled to get enough replacement parts for the massive recalls. A November NHTSA report said about two-thirds of U.S. vehicles recalled have not yet been repaired.

Senator Bill Nelson, a Democrat, said in a statement on Thursday the latest death is evidence of "the very definition of a failed recall" pointing to the earlier death in 2015. NHTSA must do more, he said, to make the recall a priority.

In November, NHTSA rejected a petition from to delay recalling 3 million to conduct additional testing.

In June 2016, NHTSA warned on more than 300,000 unrepaired recalled 2001-2003 model year Honda vehicles showed a substantial risk of rupturing, and urged owners to stop driving them until getting them fixed. NHTSA said they have as high as a 50 percent chance of a rupture in a crash.

(Reporting by David Shepardson; Additional reporting by in TOKYO; Editing by and Muralikumar Anantharaman)

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Fri, January 12 2018. 14:33 IST