Business Standard

Rethink tie-up with Bharti: DoT tells TCIL

Press Trust Of India  |  New Delhi 

The Telecom Ministry has asked state-owned Telecommunications Consultants India Ltd (TCIL) to revisit the proposal to exit from its joint venture with the Bharti Group in Rajasthan, as it had not received any dividend despite the JV making profits since 2009-10.

Bharti Hexacom, a joint venture between and TCIL, offers mobile services in Rajasthan. Bharti owns a 70 per cent stake in the JV and the remaining 30 per cent is with TCIL.

The company also offers mobile services in six northeastern states (excluding Assam) and has a little over 15 million customers. “Looking at the gravity of issues raised in communications from various Member of Parliaments (MPs) and the financial results of the joint venture (JV), has been advised to revisit the issue of disinvestment of 30 per cent of its stake in afresh. “And, after making a threadbare analysis of the issues raised, to furnish considered and conscious recommendations as to whether it would be appropriate for the government of India to go ahead with the sale of TCIL’s stake in Bharti Hexacom,” a DoT source said.

Citing the factors favouring the exit of from Bharti Hexacom, they said had sought payment of a dividend while adopting the annual accounts of the JV every year, but this was not agreed to by Bharti Group on the ground that has been using all internally generated resources for expansion of networks to keep apace with the intense competition in the market.

For the year 2009-10, earned a turnover of Rs 2,690.86 crore and a profit of Rs 624.34 crore. had also sought listing of so that it could exit the JV at the prevalent buoyant prices of mobile service providers in India. This was also declined by Bharti Group on the ground that their flagship company, Bharti airtel, is already listed and as such, their policy does not permit their subsidiaries to be listed, the letter said. neither received any return on its investment of Rs 106.20 crore, nor did it have an effective say in the company.

However, is understood to have agreed to give a dividend to its minority partner in the Rajasthan circle, state-run TCIL, this year at the rate of 20 per cent or equivalent to the amount it would give to its shareholders. For the year gone by, that is 2010-11, has recommended a dividend at the rate of 20 per cent, or Re 1 per share. Furthermore, anticipates that may propose and declare an interim dividend of 20 per cent of paid-up capital at its next meeting in lieu of non-declaration of a dividend for 2010-11, in addition to a 20 per cent dividend to be declared for the year 2011-12 at the end of the year.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Rethink tie-up with Bharti: DoT tells TCIL

Bharti Hexacom, a joint venture between Bharti airtel and TCIL, offers mobile services in Rajasthan. Bharti owns a 70 per cent stake in the JV and the remaining 30 per cent is with TCIL.

The Telecom Ministry has asked state-owned Telecommunications Consultants India Ltd (TCIL) to revisit the proposal to exit from its joint venture with the Bharti Group in Rajasthan, as it had not received any dividend despite the JV making profits since 2009-10.

Bharti Hexacom, a joint venture between and TCIL, offers mobile services in Rajasthan. Bharti owns a 70 per cent stake in the JV and the remaining 30 per cent is with TCIL.

The company also offers mobile services in six northeastern states (excluding Assam) and has a little over 15 million customers. “Looking at the gravity of issues raised in communications from various Member of Parliaments (MPs) and the financial results of the joint venture (JV), has been advised to revisit the issue of disinvestment of 30 per cent of its stake in afresh. “And, after making a threadbare analysis of the issues raised, to furnish considered and conscious recommendations as to whether it would be appropriate for the government of India to go ahead with the sale of TCIL’s stake in Bharti Hexacom,” a DoT source said.

Citing the factors favouring the exit of from Bharti Hexacom, they said had sought payment of a dividend while adopting the annual accounts of the JV every year, but this was not agreed to by Bharti Group on the ground that has been using all internally generated resources for expansion of networks to keep apace with the intense competition in the market.

For the year 2009-10, earned a turnover of Rs 2,690.86 crore and a profit of Rs 624.34 crore. had also sought listing of so that it could exit the JV at the prevalent buoyant prices of mobile service providers in India. This was also declined by Bharti Group on the ground that their flagship company, Bharti airtel, is already listed and as such, their policy does not permit their subsidiaries to be listed, the letter said. neither received any return on its investment of Rs 106.20 crore, nor did it have an effective say in the company.

However, is understood to have agreed to give a dividend to its minority partner in the Rajasthan circle, state-run TCIL, this year at the rate of 20 per cent or equivalent to the amount it would give to its shareholders. For the year gone by, that is 2010-11, has recommended a dividend at the rate of 20 per cent, or Re 1 per share. Furthermore, anticipates that may propose and declare an interim dividend of 20 per cent of paid-up capital at its next meeting in lieu of non-declaration of a dividend for 2010-11, in addition to a 20 per cent dividend to be declared for the year 2011-12 at the end of the year.

image
Business Standard
177 22

Rethink tie-up with Bharti: DoT tells TCIL

The Telecom Ministry has asked state-owned Telecommunications Consultants India Ltd (TCIL) to revisit the proposal to exit from its joint venture with the Bharti Group in Rajasthan, as it had not received any dividend despite the JV making profits since 2009-10.

Bharti Hexacom, a joint venture between and TCIL, offers mobile services in Rajasthan. Bharti owns a 70 per cent stake in the JV and the remaining 30 per cent is with TCIL.

The company also offers mobile services in six northeastern states (excluding Assam) and has a little over 15 million customers. “Looking at the gravity of issues raised in communications from various Member of Parliaments (MPs) and the financial results of the joint venture (JV), has been advised to revisit the issue of disinvestment of 30 per cent of its stake in afresh. “And, after making a threadbare analysis of the issues raised, to furnish considered and conscious recommendations as to whether it would be appropriate for the government of India to go ahead with the sale of TCIL’s stake in Bharti Hexacom,” a DoT source said.

Citing the factors favouring the exit of from Bharti Hexacom, they said had sought payment of a dividend while adopting the annual accounts of the JV every year, but this was not agreed to by Bharti Group on the ground that has been using all internally generated resources for expansion of networks to keep apace with the intense competition in the market.

For the year 2009-10, earned a turnover of Rs 2,690.86 crore and a profit of Rs 624.34 crore. had also sought listing of so that it could exit the JV at the prevalent buoyant prices of mobile service providers in India. This was also declined by Bharti Group on the ground that their flagship company, Bharti airtel, is already listed and as such, their policy does not permit their subsidiaries to be listed, the letter said. neither received any return on its investment of Rs 106.20 crore, nor did it have an effective say in the company.

However, is understood to have agreed to give a dividend to its minority partner in the Rajasthan circle, state-run TCIL, this year at the rate of 20 per cent or equivalent to the amount it would give to its shareholders. For the year gone by, that is 2010-11, has recommended a dividend at the rate of 20 per cent, or Re 1 per share. Furthermore, anticipates that may propose and declare an interim dividend of 20 per cent of paid-up capital at its next meeting in lieu of non-declaration of a dividend for 2010-11, in addition to a 20 per cent dividend to be declared for the year 2011-12 at the end of the year.

image
Business Standard
177 22

Upgrade To Premium Services

Welcome User

Business Standard is happy to inform you of the launch of "Business Standard Premium Services"

As a premium subscriber you get an across device unfettered access to a range of services which include:

  • Access Exclusive content - articles, features & opinion pieces
  • Weekly Industry/Genre specific newsletters - Choose multiple industries/genres
  • Access to 17 plus years of content archives
  • Set Stock price alerts for your portfolio and watch list and get them delivered to your e-mail box
  • End of day news alerts on 5 companies (via email)
  • NEW: Get seamless access to WSJ.com at a great price. No additional sign-up required.
 

Premium Services

In Partnership with

 

Dear Guest,

 

Welcome to the premium services of Business Standard brought to you courtesy FIS.
Kindly visit the Manage my subscription page to discover the benefits of this programme.

Enjoy Reading!
Team Business Standard