You are here » Home » Chat Home » Gadgets for Spring - Summer 2016

• Abhik Sen - Joint News Editor, Business Standard

Abhik Sen

Joint News Editor, Business Standard

DATE: April 01, 2016, 12:00 PM

SUBJECT: Gadgets for Spring - Summer 2016

Hello and welcome to a webchat with Abhik Sen on 'Gadgets for Spring - Summer 2016'

• A

Hello Abhik, please suggest a smartphone that has good camera and RAM within the Rs 8,000. Thank You.

Hey that's a tall order. But if you're okay with a decent camera, the Xiaomi Redmi 2 Prime is a good one. Else, if you can increase your budget by a couple of thousand, the Asus Zenfone 5 or the Yu Yureka are my picks

• R

What is your take on Apple's new 4-inch iPhone, iPhone SE?

The iPhone SE is a good upgrade for those who have been holding out upgrading their 5s for the form factor. As for it being a "cheap"iPhone, its subjective: Consider it to be a shrunk version of the iPhone 6s, sans 3D Touch. Would I buy it? Not at the price, because I can get an iPhone 6s cheaper and an iPhone 5s for half the price. But say I stopped upgrading after the iPhone became bigger, I probably would. Yet, if the SE is available between Rs30,0000 and Rs 35,000, I might just relent

• M

Which is the best activity tracker according to you? Xiaomi's Mi Band, Micromax's Yu YuFit or Intex’s FitRist within the range of Rs 1,000?

Let's get this straight: Any activity tracker at that price point would possibly not have the functions of a Jawbone or a Fitbit. Having said that, I quite liked what I saw of the Yu YuFit. The Mi Band is nice with the app, but is easy to fool. Happy activity!

• N

I am looking for a laptop that can also fulfill the requirement of a tablet. Do you think Smartron's is the best buy?

I loved the Microsoft Surface 4 but it is too expensive; and the tablet is hefty. The Smartron device was unveiled yesterday, so we haven't had a chance to test it out in detail. But I liked what I saw. At the price, it is a steal. I would suggest you put off you buy by two weeks. Initial reactions to the would be out by then

• S

Hey Abhik, I am planning to buy a mid-range phone within Rs 6,000. What is your view on InFocus Bingo 21 which is 4G enabled with good battery life?

I've heard good things about the InFocus Bingo but you should also check out the Xiaomi Redmi 2

• S

Good Afternoon Abhik, I am planning to buy a portable speaker for myself. Can you please suggest me the best speaker available in India?

I quite liked the JBL Pulse 2. If you want something ligher, the Logitech Mini Boombox is a good bet. If you want an all-in-one device, the Creative SoundBlaster Roar makes sense. For the best music reproduction, the Bose Soundlink Mini is a great buy

• V

I wish to upgrade to a smartphone with good battery life, camera quality and 3GB RAM. Which are the three best models u can suggest?

The Asus Zenfon 2 4GB, the OnePlus Two and the Xiaomi Mi5 (we're yet to test its battery, though) should be good bets among mid-rangers. Among flagships, the Samsung S7 and the HTC One are two very good bets. And of course, the iPhone 6s has a fabulous camera as well. The Lenovo K4 Note and the LeEco Le 1s are good bets at the entry level

• A

Dear Abhik, I need gadgets that can transcribe audio into script. Is there any such device available in India or abroad? Any suggestions?

Nuance's Dragon Naturally Speaking software does a good job of transcribing when you speak into the headset. It also has versions available where a digital dictaphone is included as part of the package. After the audio is recorded on to the dictaphone, it can be plugged in and the audio can be transcribed. While it isn't 100 per cent accurate, Nuance claims more than 90 per cent accuracy

• P

I am a virtual reality enthusiast. What are the factors that need to be taken into account while buying a decent VR Headset? Could you please suggest some names?

The first thing you need to decide is what you're going to use the VR headset with. If you want to use it with a phone, the Google Cardboard is a good entry-level one. I also liked the Samsung VR headset a lot, but it is compatible with only a few high-end Samsung phones. There are others as well, such as Zebronics, and they're okay, but don't match the slickness of the Samsung one. Another VR headset we had the opportunity to use was the LeEco 3D Helmet and we quite liked what we saw; but this is yet to launch in India. If you want to use VR with a PC, you've got to wait till the HTC Vive or the Oculus Rift make it to India.

• M

I wish to buy a high-end home theatre system. Which are the systems available in the market I don't mind even the amp, player and speakers are of different manufacturers?

Well, it all depends on your budget. If price is no constraint, then A/V receivers from Yamaha, Marantz or Denon pair well with most combinations. Just make sure the nominal impedance of the receiver matches the speakers. For speakers, you can either go in for sets of front floorstanders, centre-channel speakers/woofer and satellites — offerings from Yamaha and Cambridge Audio are ones I like. But it all depends on the size of your room. Or you can go in for a Home theatre in a box (HTIB) solution, which works out cheaper and is meant for any mid-sized room. Offerings from Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha usually work better than mainstream brands. And yes, HTIB sometimes bundle in the player as well

Upgrade To Premium Services

Welcome User

Business Standard is happy to inform you of the launch of "Business Standard Premium Services"

As a premium subscriber you get an across device unfettered access to a range of services which include:

• Access Exclusive content - articles, features & opinion pieces
  • Weekly Industry/Genre specific newsletters - Choose multiple industries/genres
  • Access to 17 plus years of content archives
  • Set Stock price alerts for your portfolio and watch list and get them delivered to your e-mail box
  • End of day news alerts on 5 companies (via email)
  • NEW: Get seamless access to at a great price. No additional sign-up required.

Premium Services

In Partnership with

Dear Guest,

Welcome to the premium services of Business Standard brought to you courtesy FIS.
Kindly visit the Manage my subscription page to discover the benefits of this programme.

Enjoy Reading!
Team Business Standard