You are here » Home » Chat Home » Top picks for Samvat 2072

CHAT

CHAT CLOSED. READ TRANSCRIPT BELOW

• MODERATOR:

Hello and welcome to the webchat with Devangshu Datta on the top picks for Samvat 2072

DEVANGSHU DATTA:

Hello, everyone

• P

PRAVIN BARAI

What is your view on FMCG & IT sectors for the short term?

DEVANGSHU DATTA

IT - negative in the short term. Results / guidances don't seem to have made anybody happy. On Momentum alone, would prefer to wait for some time before buying because bottoms may not have been hit. FMCG - quite a few stocks looking attractive - as mentioned above, Marico, Dabur, Godrej CP,

• P

P.ANAND SHARATH BABU

I wish to trade on a daily and monthly basis. What are the major technical techniques I should equip myself with and trends I should watch out for?

DEVANGSHU DATTA

Whoof! First figure out the tax factor - you have to generate enough returns to beat passive buy and hold which is much more tax efficient. Do you think you can do that ? Second you can trade in many different styles. It depends on your preferred timeframe and the amount of risk you are prepared to take. Your preferred technical tools will depend on your preferred style Iron rule: Whatever your trading system, always set a stop loss and always exit if the stop is hit.

• S

SAMIR KR MUKHOPADHYAY

What are your views on FORCE MOTOR and MCDOWELL-N?

DEVANGSHU DATTA

Force: Bullish in a general way. Strong resistances at 3400-3500. McD- N - seems to be in a current uptrend - with luck it will test 3700 or more.

• S

SURENDRA

Which are the sectors that have the potential to lead the next rally whenever it happens?

DEVANGSHU DATTA

See above - copied for convenience Auto - select stocks. There should be a continuing revival in sales if the trend of the past 2-3 months holds. Energy - on the assumption that crude/ gas prices will remain down, the PSU marketers should do well - good trends . Media - there's positive momentum Pharma - there are current selloffs caused by nervousness about USFDA actions, and by relatively poor results. This is an entry opportunity IT - big question mark. In theory, what's good for the US is good for IT and the US is doing well. So IT should do well. But the current guidances are gloomy and so is the technical position in most IT/ ITES stocks

• S

SUNIL MAHESHWARI

Sir, which sectors are likely to outperform in Samvat 2072?

DEVANGSHU DATTA

Auto - select stocks. There should be a continuing revival in sales if the trend of the past 2-3 months holds. Energy - on the assumption that crude/ gas prices will remain down, the PSU marketers should do well - good trends . Media - there's positive momentum Pharma - there are current selloffs caused by nervousness about USFDA actions, and by relatively poor results. This is an entry opportunity IT - big question mark. In theory, what's good for the US is good for IT and the US is doing well. So IT should do well. But the current guidances are gloomy and so is the technical position in most IT/ ITES stocks

• R

RAVIHEGDE

What is theme for next year? Which sectors able to sustain uncertainty better?

DEVANGSHU DATTA

No "themes"as such. I see global weakness (negative for many reasons but positive for low crude/ gas/ coal prices). The domestic economy will tick along and may gain some impetus even with global weakness The rupee ""must" fall, preferably by a distance if exports to recover. Clock is ticking for reform - if GST doesn't pass in the 2016-17 fiscal, it will not be passed in this Lok Sabha term is my best guess. GoI will be too timid to try to pass GST in 2017-18 because of impact on general elections. No chance of labour reforms in my opinion. Will be opposed by BJP's own unions. So my best guess is that reform will jam at legislative levels - whatever efficiency gains come, will have to be non-legislative. There could be further social political tensions - and that will mean caution from investors especially overseas investors. Yes this is a bearish prognosis, unfortunately.

• S

SATYAVRAT MISHRA

Why have the power stocks reacted to the rescue package news? Is it a good time to buy CESC and Reliance Power for a two-year holding period?

DEVANGSHU DATTA

Maybe not for 2 years but for 6-12 months - the rescue package just kicks problems down the line (in my opinion) but it will take the market a while to acknowledge that :)

• N

NANDAN

What is the Sensex and Nifty targer for the next 1 year? Which would be your top three picks in the broader market for an investment period of one-year?

DEVANGSHU DATTA

Market could go negative due to global issues Don't have a clear target for Nifty / Sensex HDFC Bank, Ashok Leyland, Marico could be three broader picks

• A

ATUL NANDA

Do you think it is a good time to sell Maruti? I bought this stock at around Rs 1841 and hold 150 shares. What is your view on Tata Motors for Samvat 2072? What about SBI, ITC, L&T?

DEVANGSHU DATTA

No don't sell Maruti - set a stop loss if you like , at around 4000. But hold (move up the stop if the stock moves up to say 5000). Would see it as a long-term gainer. Tata Motors I am slightly negative - ITC - buy on declines/ L&T seems to be in a bad trend, close to 52-week lows/ Purely on momentum could avoid SBI - don't like the owner :) - ditto for other PSUs.

• V

VINEET

Select FMCG stocks have been on the uptrend. Do you see the trend continuing in Samvat 2072? Which would be your top pick among Dabur, Emami,Marico, Gilette and Godrej Consumer Products?

DEVANGSHU DATTA

I like Marico very much. Also like Dabur. Would back Godrej CP on momentum (it has done well through 2015)

Upgrade To Premium Services

Welcome User

Business Standard is happy to inform you of the launch of "Business Standard Premium Services"

As a premium subscriber you get an across device unfettered access to a range of services which include:

• Access Exclusive content - articles, features & opinion pieces
  • Weekly Industry/Genre specific newsletters - Choose multiple industries/genres
  • Access to 17 plus years of content archives
  • Set Stock price alerts for your portfolio and watch list and get them delivered to your e-mail box
  • End of day news alerts on 5 companies (via email)
  • NEW: Get seamless access to WSJ.com at a great price. No additional sign-up required.

Premium Services

In Partnership with

Dear Guest,

Welcome to the premium services of Business Standard brought to you courtesy FIS.
Kindly visit the Manage my subscription page to discover the benefits of this programme.

Enjoy Reading!
Team Business Standard