K Dhandapani & Co was incorporated on 9 May '80 as a private limited company to take over the business of the erstwhile firm. It became a deemed public limited company in 1988 and later on, a regular public limited company. It is promoted by T N Desikan, T N Gopalan, T N Kishore, T N Kothandapani, T N Sridharan, T N Soundararajan and T N Kumar.
The company is engaged in the business of manfacturing and supply of switchgear panels/power control and motor control centres/switchboards for industrial application and electrical installation contracts. It is also a dealer for the electrical components of Siemens, GEC Alsthom and Finolex Cables. Dealership business was established way back in 1949.
In 1995, the company undertook an expansion-cum-new project programme which involved expansion of the existing manufacturing facilities at Madras and a new project for the manufacture of power capacitor at Bangalore. Commercial production commenced during the same year. It came out with a public issue in Jan.'95 to part-finance the project.
The LT capacitors manufactured by the company has obtained ISI certification from the Bureau of Indian Standards for its quality.