National Peroxide (NPL) was jointly promoted by The Bombay Dyeing & Manufacturing Company and Laporte Industries, UK. The peroxygens division of the company manufactures hydrogen peroxide and persalts. And the other plastic additives division produces, litharge and PVC stabilisers.
The first plant, manufacturing hydrogen peroxide using the electrolytic process, was set up in 1956. In 1972, NPL adopted the latest auto oxidation technology. A captive hydrogen gas plant was set up in 1987. After a series of expansions, the capacity of the hydrogen peroxide plant has increased to 15,000 tpa. In 1970, Laporte joined hands with Solvay, Belgium, and formed a joint venture known as Interox Coordination. In 1992, Solvay took over Interox Coordination and became a shareholder of NPL with a 25.10% stake.
NPL established a plant in Dewas, Madhya Pradesh, to manufacture litharge and plastic additives (inst. cap.: 4800 tpa) in 1989, in collaboration with Akzo Chemie, Germany. NPL produces litharge, lead stabilisers, solid metal complexes, liquid metal complexes, epoxidised soya bean oil and one-pack stabiliser systems in Dewas. In June 2000, NPL sold it's Dewas division to M/s Barlocher India Additives Pvt. Ltd., an indian arm of M/s Barlocher GmbH. The company handed over the plant on June 30, 2000 as per the conciliation agreement with the M/s Barlocher Gmbh, Germany. The sale proceeds were used to pay off high cost loans.
It established an integrated research centre in Kalyan in 1979, (cost : Rs 1.5 cr) to promote the applications of hydrogen peroxide and persalts in various industries, to carry out process development and to provide technical services required for plastic additives.
NPL's real estate project, named Naperol Tower is completed and the company sold 121 flats during the year 2000-01 and the remaining 38 flats are to be sold.