Indian Chemical Council (ICC) presented its Annual Awards 2012 in Mumbai on 27 September, 2013. Dr A J V Prasad, Jt Secretary, Dept. of Chemicals & Petrochemicals, Govt. of India, and Nikhil Meswani, Executive Director, Reliance Industries graced the occasion along with other stalwarts of the Indian chemical industry. Addressing the function, Yogesh Kothari, President, ICC, elaborated on some of the important activities undertaken by ICC for 2012-13, and activities planned for this year.
Dr Prasad said that the drafting of National Chemical Policy was in final stages and urged the industry to increase investment in R&D as this can give India a competitive edge in the international market. He also emphasised on the need to incorporate safety measures to prevent mishaps in the chemical industry.
ALSO READ: RIL-BP announce new gas condensate discovery in Cauvery Basin
Stating that the Indian chemical industry is going through a period of uncertainty, Meswani said that companies should face the reality and adopt strategy to sustain growth. Though the market has slowed down, he expressed optimism that the long-term growth story of India was intact since the per capita consumption of chemicals in the country was very low compared with China and other developed countries. Meswani also emphasised on the need to embrace eco-friendly measures for sustainable growth.
ICC D M Trivedi Lifetime Achievement Award for Contribution to Indian Chemical Industry was bestowed upon S R Lohokare, MD, National Peroxide Ltd (in Management of Industry category), and Prof G D Yadav, Vice Chancellor, Institute Of Chemical Technology, Mumbai (in Education & Research category). Ashwin Shroff, Chairman, Excel Industries Ltd, was presented with the ICC Lifetime Achievement Award for his illustrious contribution to the Indian chemical industry.
ALSO READ: Chinese pharma intermediates may become uncompetitive compared to India: Ashwin Shroff, Excel Industries Ltd
- ICC Award for Excellence in Chemical Plant Design & Engineering: Reliance Industries Ltd and Balaji Amines Ltd
- ICC Award for Excellence in Management of Health/Safety/Environment: Lanxess India Pvt Ltd and Solvay Specialities India Pvt Ltd; and ‘Certificate of Merit’ to Nagarjuna Fertilizers & Chemicals Ltd
- ICC Award for Excellence in Energy Conservation and Management: Essar Oil Ltd, Refinery Division
- ICC Award for Water Resource Management in Chemical Industry: Tata Chemicals Ltd and Dishman Pharmaceuticals & Chemicals Ltd, and ‘Certificate of Merit’ to Chemfab Alkalies Ltd
- ICC Award for Social Responsibility: Deepak Nitrite Ltd, Rashtriya Chemicals & Fertilizers Ltd, and Excel Industries Ltd