You are here: Home » Economy & Policy » News
Business Standard

DoT awaits govt nod on Egypt firm's FDI in Hutch

Joji Thomas Philip  |  New Delhi 

The Department of Telecommunications is awaiting the response of the ministries of finance, commerce and industry, and defence, before taking a final decision on Egyptian telecom company Orascom's indirect entry into Hutchison Essar.
The Prime Minister's Office has already said Orascom's entry poses a security threat to India.
Last month, the Essar group, which holds 33 per cent stake in the mobile service joint venture Hutchison Essar, had written to the DoT, the ministries and the PMO, asking whether any indirect or direct equity changes in Indian telecom companies needed approvals or clearances from relevant authorities.
The PMO's reply, sent by National Security Advisor MK Naryanan, has said Orascom's acquisition of 19.3 per cent stake in Hutch International last year, which also gave the Egyptian company a 12.19 per cent effective holding in Hutch Essar, is a threat to national security as this company is a dominant operator in both Pakistan and Bangladesh.
While maintaining that the new guidelines "clearly indicate that the foreign investment promotion board's approval is required for FDI in telecom companies", DoT sources said a final decision on the issue would be taken only after the other ministries submitted their comments.
The DoT is also of the view that guidelines provide that while approving FDI in telecom, the FIPB must first consider if the investment is coming in from "unfriendly" countries.
The PMO had upheld the views of the Essar group, which had said "such indirect change of shareholding through a holding company, without the consent of the serious Indian investors in the company, could constitute a threat to security and it will be difficult to hold the serious Indian investor responsible in such a situation", sources added.
When contacted, Essar executives said the company was yet to receive any feedback from each of the ministries and the DoT following its communication on February 22.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Thu, March 09 2006. 00:00 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
.