At least 133 people, including a top nationalist leader, were killed and more than 125 others injured today in a powerful suicide blast and a targeted attack on separate election rallies in Pakistan, the deadliest in a series of assaults on candidates ahead of the July 25 polls.
The Islamic State terror group has claimed responsibility for the attack that left 128 people dead, police officials said.
At least 128 people, including Raisani, were killed and more than 125 injured in a deadly blast, police officials said.
He said the death toll could rise further as 120 people have been wounded in the explosion.
Officials of the Bomb Disposal Squad (BDS) confirmed that it was a suicide blast. They said that around 16-20 kilogram of explosives were used in the attack.
Following the incident, an emergency was declared in Quetta hospitals, with additional medical staff summoned.
The attack came hours after a bomb hit a rally of Akram Khan Durrani of Mutahida Majlis Amal (MMA), an alliance of religious party, including Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazal (JUI-F) and Jamaat-e-Islami, in Bannu area of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
Five persons were killed and over 37 other injured, police said.
Durrani was unhurt in the attack. He later visited the injured in a hospital in Bannu and said that his vehicle was damaged in the attack.
No group has claimed responsibility for the two attacks so far.
The law and order had suddenly deteriorated ahead of elections despite claims by the government and security forces that terrorism has been wiped out of the country.
On July 7, seven people were injured when a convoy of a Muttahida Majlis-i-Amal came under attack in Bannu.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)