You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Cong for job quota, property right to 1965, '71 refugees in JK

Press Trust of India  |  Jammu 

"The government should give them property right since they are the residents of this state," Congress leader Manjit Singh said.

The JK government should give property rights to the refugees of 1965 and 1971 who have been given land by the government yet they did not have right over the property under their possession in Vijaypur and its villages along the International Border, Singh said near here.

The meeting was organised to know to the grievances of the refugees during which they were assured by the former minister that their demands would be raised before concerned departments.

"The condition of non-camp refugees (who did not stay in the camps in 1965 and 1971) is also not good and they also should be given property rights and the government should allot them land so that they could lead a normal life," Singh appealed.

These people had left their land and property during the two wars between India and Pakistan on 1965 and 1971.

Regarding the reservation of jobs in Jammu and Kashmir, he said, there should be 4 per cent of reservation in jobs for the refugees since they lack employment opportunity as compare to the other citizens of the State.

First Published: Sun, September 09 2012. 22:05 IST