Formed in 1863 as Burmah Trading Company by taking over the assets and rights in Burma of William Wallace, the company was renamed Bombay Burmah Trading Corporation to avoid being confused with a firm of a similar name. The corporation's activities are in tea, coffee, cardamom, cocoa, rubber and palm oil segments; manufacture of asbestos cement and concrete products, starch from tapioca; logging of timber, boat building and repairs. These activities are spread over India, Indonesia, Thailand, Tanzania and Sabah. The corporation, for over eighty years since 1863, was the largest single tea company in the industry, marketing between one-third and one-half of the world's tea supply. Post-war political changes in Burma and Thailand necessitated a restructuring of its activities and areas of operations. This resulted in the corporation's entry into North Borneo, east Africa and the Andamans. AFCO, a Bombay-based small craft industry was acquired by the corporation which became a subsidiary of the company in 1958. In 1962, the corporation, floated Formica India in association with Formica International, in technical collaboration with the American Cynamid Company, which is engaged in the production of laminates. The BCL spring division was formed consequent to the merger of the erstwhile Bombay Company (BCL) with the corporation. In 1995-96, the corporation's formica and springs divisions were accredited with ISO 9002 by International Agencies and in 1997-98, Oothu factory at Singampatti group was accredited with ISO 9002 by KPMG Quality Registrar, USA for the production and supply of green and black teas and the same was revalidated for further 3 years from Aug, 1998 by Bureau Veritas Quality International. During 1999-2000, the Company faced labour problems at Singampatti Group of Tea Estates. A wage settlement between Tea Workers' Union and the Planters Association of Tamil Nadu was arrived at in December, 1999 with retrospective effect from 1st January, 1999.