The manufacturing activities of Desh Rakshak Aushadalaya were started in 1901 as a proprietoryship concern by the late Bhagwant Rai Jain. The concern was converted into a private limited company in Jul.'94. The company has been manufacturing ayurvedic medicines with traditional processes. Upto 1976, the company producing ethical products of ayurvedic medicines which were supplied to ayurvedic dispenseries. In 1977, government announced certain policies like Community Health Volunteer Scheme, for the benefits of the rural public. The company participated in the bulk supply under the scheme. In 1986-87, due to the change in the government policy, it again started the production of ethical and patent ayurvedic medicines. In 1995-96, the company undertook a modernisation programme to upgrade the quality of its products and launch them in the global market and also an expansion programme to increase the installed capacity of tablets to 2050 lac pa; liquid to 41 lac bottles pa; pills to 27.50 lac pa; awleha to 280 tpa; kwath to 40 tpa and capasules to 60 lac pa. The project was part financed through a public issue in Dec.'95.