LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
It gives me an immense pleasure to provide an insight into the history of RidingsConsulting Engineers India Limited and how we came into existence. It all started aftercompleting a long (38.5 years) eventful and meritorious career in a reputed and one ofthe oldest Government organization i.e. Survey Of India (SOI) where I got exposure tolatest Mapping Techniques through various assignments in India Nepal (under ColomboPlan) Africa (under SCAAP) on a world bank Project in Malawi and through variousspecialized courses in India and abroad including a Post Graduate Level Course in ImperialCollege of Science & Technology London U.K and as database specialist in USA. Allthese experiences led to my appointment as coordinator SOI computerization projectculminating in adoption of GIS mapping and Digital technology in India through setting upof two Digital mapping Centers (DMC) one at Dehradun and the other one at Hyderabad andsetting up of UNDP aided Modern Cartographic Center (MCC) at Dehradun through myinvolvement first as coordinator and then as National Project Director. I superannuated asNational Project Director (DMC & MCC) from Survey of India Ministry Of Science AndTechnology in Feb 1994 and during this period (1991-92) was selected and worked as an UNconsultant in UGANDA for 6 weeks or so.
Within two week of my superannuation I joined as Senior VP Ridings consultingengineers UK and was involved in producing digital output of Eicher City map of Delhi withIDEA Company in addition to doing International Business Development for IDEA in theMiddle East and USA. After a year as part of Ridings team I joined VAI (Voest-AlpineIndustrieanlagenbau) as Advisor GIS and systems along with Mr. Don Goodwin DirectorRidings UK and helped them in setting up their design office in Delhi. It was whileworking with VAI that I found lack of knowledge in digital field at ground level in Indiancompanies and noticed a huge requirement of trained manpower in this domain in ourcountry. An idea therefore came to my mind to generate suitable employment by forming anIndian company and do the skill development by sharing my knowledge. It was with thisbackground that I founded Ridings Consulting Engineers India Private limited in 1995 witha view to promote Digital technology knowhow and generate skilled manpower to meet thegrowing demand for providing qualitative digital geospatial services in India and abroad.
Gentlemen Ridings has come a long way since its inception to reach the present level ofa public limited company with profitable and qualitative sustainability throughout forover two decades and has been catering to the growing and ever evolving needs with themotto "Global thinking and universal outlook" using state of the art GIS mappingtechnologies covering GIS and Digital mapping domain of Geospatial Services.
In brief the journey of Ridings can be divided into three phases:-
Phase I: Knowledge Sharing & Trend Setting Projects
In phase1 of its existence Ridings was engaged in Trend setting projects as part ofits knowledge and experience sharing highlights of some of projects are described below:-
1. First electrical Consumer Indexing GIS Project was carried out for NCPL in GreaterNoida with Infotech technologies. Subsequently we carried out two big similar projects inJodhpur Rajasthan with TCS and with CMC in Agra UP. This brought in accountability &revenue increase to Discoms.
2. Ridings carried out trend setting Water Utility project in Washington DC for FairFax County together with a US company as a first utility project to bring inconsistency.
3. Ridings successfully completed the survey work for WAPCOS at Tala Hydro ElectricProject Bhutan which turned out to be a trend setting project with over 20 km oftunnels.
4. We were engaged in a major project to carry out 1: 1000 scale urban mapping forBharti Airtel for major cities i.e. Patiala Ludhiana Delhi Chennai and Bengaluru for OF C cable laying out and planning telecom connections.
5. We carried out GIS project as one of the major partner with Reliance for Info comthroughout India involving satellite based digitization as per their Data Base Model.
6. We also carried out a major Property survey project in Kanpur with a Netherlandsbased agency which again was a trend setter in bringing proper accounting and location ofeach property in the region and proved a turning point for others to follow forenhancing their revenue.
7. Digitization project carried out with Siemens in Madhya Pradesh for forest mappingGIS project.
8. We were selected by Mott Macdonald and carried out a major cadastral mapping projectin Madhya Pradesh near Jhansi for canal water planning.
Phase- II Diversification & Spreading of Wings
We did diversify and with gained experience in cadastral mapping we carried out canalalignment topographical survey and GIS mapping for canal design which was also completedin spite of many difficulties.
I may point out that we took up a prestigious project in MP for property & Slumsurveys in 6 ULBs of MP and we were the only company which completed the project. This wasagain an evolving Project and most of the work involved use of satellite imagery for basemap to cater for on the ground property survey slum survey and finally transfer oftechnology to six ULBs.
After about 10 years of our existence we got a chance through an international bid inBahrain for geophysical surveys for Moharraq Island which we got through Globalcompetition. On award of this project with Microcenter as our local partner wesuccessfully completed the project in about two years and first time adopted the new greennondestructive GPR Technology. It was during this period that we could envisage the futureapplication of this technology in India and Middle East for coming decades as there wereno accurate underground utility mapping available in India & SE Asia as well.
Due to mushrooming of telecom companies and improved version of smart telephones wewere engaged first by Navteq and then by TOM TOM to provide Survey Content for Navigationand location which we have been providing not only for India but for Nepal Sri Lanka andMiddle East countries as well. This is a continuous job and is still continuing with us aspart of their maintenance.
Phase- III Start of a New Era
A new era in the life of Ridings started in August 2012 when my son Praveen KumarBaveja joined the company as its CEO and started working with an international experience& IIT background. Under his leadership the company:
1. Conducted GPR survey in different towns and became No. 1 Company for this greentechnology for OFC route alignment survey for Reliance JIO for 4G using GPR and furtherpurchased 8 GPRs from USA and 2 from Russia.
2. There was a further Impetus to our work after the launch of AMRUT and Smart Cityprojects and we are getting continuously engaged on these projects in various states withdifferent clients.
3. From 2013 to present day we have also carried out a number of projects in OmanSaudi UAE and Bahrain successfully for GPR and Topographical Survey.
4. We have inducted three independent directors on the Board of the Company to widenthe horizon of the Board and bring some extra accountability on its Board.
5. We have got in partnership as a consortium member a continuous project inMaharashtra for GPR survey covering various ULBs in the state ensuring us 15 crores workin the coming 5 years.
6. 2017 has proved for us to be an eventful year in the life of Ridings in view of thefollowings.- We decided to go Public and did accomplish it in March 2018.
- We got big orders in Abu Dhabi and Maharashtra for 2 & 5 years respectively.
- Quite a few orders are in the pipeline and likely to materialize in 2018 in India
Pari passu with above I got World Bank consultancy for NHAI to recommend them latesttechnology etc. My report was accepted and finally LiDAR Technology has been adopted inIndia which also enabled us to do a Static LiDAR project for a reputed company in Saudi.
I am sure with projects in hand an experienced board of Directors with M. Tech IITianas CEO and multinational experienced CFO Ridings is going to grow by leaps & boundsand I wish all of you a great successful year i.e. 2018-2019.
Mr. Sain Ditta Baveja
Chairman and Managing Director.