Shakti Pumps (India) was established in Jan.'82 as a partnership firm in the name of Shakti Electrical Industries. The partnership firm was reconstituted three times in 1986, 1990 and 1994, before being converted into a public limited company in 1995. It was promoted by Manoharlal Patidar, Dinesh Patidar and Sunil Patidar. The company's unit was set up as a small scale unit in 1982 at Pithampur, Madhya Pradesh, to manufacture submersible pumps with an installed capacity of 1500 pumps p.a. The unit received ISI mark for its products in 1991. Madhya Pradesh Government (P H E D and irrigation departments) is the major consumer of its products. In 1995, the company undertook an expansion programme at its Pithampur plant to increase the capacity of pumps from 1500 pa to 10,000 pa and that of control panels from 800 pa to 8000 pa. It further proposed to undertake the manufacture of monoblock pumps with an installed capacity of 10,000 pumps pa. It came out with a public issue in Dec.'95 to part-finance the project. During the Year 1998-99, the Company was successful in obtaining an ISO 9002 Certification. The company has obtained the privilege of manufacturing of entire motor pump sets purely of stainless steel being the exclusive manufacturer in the whole country in the year 1999-2000.