- Why Pakistan's new PM should look to IMF and not China for a bailout
- You needn't own a classy Porsche for your road trip. Just take one on rent
- Can't afford an office on rent? Try co-working spaces, they're much cheaper
- Pak National Assembly to elect new PM today; Shehbaz, Imran in contention
- Global Markets: Asian shares gain on U.S.-China trade talks, lira recovers
- Today's picks: From Sun Pharma to Vedanta, hot stocks to watch on Friday
Is Uttarakhand tragedy a man-made disaster? Share your views
Certainly, there are valid reasons for declaring Uttarakhand tragedy a national calamity. The number of tourists visiting Uttarakhand is much more than the population of the State. Long before the meteorological department issued its warnings, the Comptroller and Auditor-General (CAG) had advised against the rampant destruction of the Garhwal Himalayas. The million-dollar question is: whether successive governments in the Himalayan regions have allowed the area to become more susceptible to flooding and landslides? The catastrophe shows how unplanned development creates unprecedented havoc. Do you think the Himalayan tsunami has exposed the bankruptcy of our development? Is Uttarakhand tragedy a man-made disaster? We look forward to your views.