- Cleartrip spreads wings; acquires Saudi online travel aggregator Flyin
- Cement companies under pressure; UltraTech Cement, Ambuja hit 52-week low
- Fifa World Cup 2018: Today's match schedule, live streaming for Thursday
- China says US abuses tariffs to start trade wars; India hits back at Trump
- Bank of Baroda hits over two-year low; falls 10% in one week
Is Uttarakhand tragedy a man-made disaster? Share your views
Certainly, there are valid reasons for declaring Uttarakhand tragedy a national calamity. The number of tourists visiting Uttarakhand is much more than the population of the State. Long before the meteorological department issued its warnings, the Comptroller and Auditor-General (CAG) had advised against the rampant destruction of the Garhwal Himalayas. The million-dollar question is: whether successive governments in the Himalayan regions have allowed the area to become more susceptible to flooding and landslides? The catastrophe shows how unplanned development creates unprecedented havoc. Do you think the Himalayan tsunami has exposed the bankruptcy of our development? Is Uttarakhand tragedy a man-made disaster? We look forward to your views.