C'garh attack: BJP MLA, 4 security men killed; DGP says lawmaker was warned against taking route

Explore Business Standard

A BJP MLA and four security personnel were killed in Chhattisgarh Tuesday as Naxals blew up their vehicle, two days before the first-phase of the Lok Sabha elections in the state, police said.
BJP MLA Bheema Mandavi and the four others were killed as Naxals targeted a group of BJP leaders travelling in a convoy of three vehicles, including the MLA's bullet-proof one, in Dantewada district, police said.
Addressing a press conference late Tuesday evening, state Director-General of Police D M Awasthi said a local police officer had called Mandavi and asked him not to take the route, citing security reasons.
"On Tuesday, at around 9 am, Mandavi had left for poll campaigning in the security convoy of his three vehicles, including his bullet proof one," Awasthi said.
"The MLA's convoy was escorted by additional security of 50 District Reserve Guard men on 25 motorcycles. After completing his campaigning in Netapur, Tannenar and Metapal villages, Mandavi reached Dantewada party office at around 1 am," Awasthi said.
"Mandavi told DRG security in charge that he was done with campaigning for Tuesday and the additional security can be withdrawn," he said at a joint press conference with DG (Anti Naxal Operations) Girdhari Nayak.
"After lunch, Mandavi went to Kirandul party office from where he headed towards Bacheli. When Bacheli Station House Officer Shil Aditya Singh came to know that Mandavi was heading towards Kuwakonda from Bacheli, he called him and asked (the MLA) not to take up that route citing security reasons," Awasthi said.
Despite advisory, Mandavi went ahead on the route and the incident took place about 4 km from Kuwakonda, he added.
"The MLA was alerted, but he ignored it. If he had not gone through that route, the incident could have been averted," Awasthi stressed.
"After the blast, an exchange of fire broke out between Naxals and security personnel who were in other two vehicles of the convoy. The ultras soon escaped from the spot," the DG said, adding that exact number of rebels involved in the attack was not yet known.
Soon after being alerted, security forces led by Dantewada SP Abhishek Pallava rushed to the spot for rescue operation, he added.
Earlier in the day, Chhattisgarh CM Bhupesh Baghel spoke to DG anti-Naxal operations, an official said.
Former Chhattisgarh CM Raman Singh said, "I am in contact with central ministers and spoke to PM Narendra Modi an hour ago. I will go to Dantewada and meet families of the deceased."
Home minister Rajnath Singh tweeted: "I spoke to Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Shri @bhupeshbaghel regarding the IED attack in Dantewada and expressed my grief over the martyrdom of state police personnel. He has also apprised me of the ground situation in Dantewada."
Disclaimer: No Business Standard Journalist was involved in creation of this content
First Published: Apr 09 2019 | 11:45 PM IST