Associate Sponsors

Co-sponsor

US, Russia butt heads over Venezuela

Image
AFP Washington
Last Updated : May 05 2019 | 11:05 PM IST

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo pressed Sunday for Russia to get out of Venezuela, while his Russian counterpart, Sergei Lavrov, called on Washington to "abandon its irresponsible plans" in the crisis-wracked country.

The push and shove set the stage for a Pompeo meeting with Lavrov in Finland this week, and belied the conciliatory tone taken by US President Donald Trump on Friday after what he said was "a very good conversation" with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The top level contacts follow the failure of a US-backed uprising this week aimed at ousting Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro, which Pompeo has blamed on Russia.

The secretary has said Maduro had been ready to flee to Havana but the Russians, who had flown military advisers to Caracas to shore up his socialist government, talked him out of it.

"The Russians must get out," Pompeo said in an interview Sunday with ABC's "This Week." "I'm going to meet with Foreign Minister Lavrov in recent days. It's very clear, we want the Russians out, we want the Iranians out, we want the Cubans out. It's very clear," he said.

Trump undercut Pompeo's position on Friday, telling reporters that Putin had assured him "he is not looking to get involved in Venezuela other than he'd like to see something positive happen for Venezuela."
"But Maduro can't feel good. He's ruling for the moment but he can't govern," Pompeo said. "This is someone who cannot be part of Venezuela's future."

Disclaimer: No Business Standard Journalist was involved in creation of this content

More From This Section

First Published: May 05 2019 | 11:05 PM IST

Next Story