White House

Who was Nasire Best, White House shooter who claimed he was 'Jesus'?

Nasire Best, 21, had earlier encounters with the Secret Service and had reportedly claimed he was Jesus Christ before Saturday's firing near the White House

Updated On: 24 May 2026 | 10:20 AM IST

Gunman killed after firing at officers near White House: US Secret Service

A person who approached a White House security checkpoint and began firing at officers has died, according to federal officials. The US Secret Service said in a statement late Saturday that, according to a preliminary investigation, the person approached a checkpoint shortly after 6 pm ET, "removed a weapon from his bag and began firing at posted officers". Officers returned fire and hit the suspect, who was transported to an area hospital, where he later died, according to the Secret Service. A bystander was struck, but a law enforcement official said it wasn't clear whether that person was struck by the suspect's initial bullets or those fired subsequently by officers. Secret Service said none of its officers were injured, and that President Donald Trump -- who was at the White House at the time -- was not "impacted." Journalists working at the White House on Saturday reported hearing a series of gunshots and were told to seek shelter inside the press briefing room. On X, the S

Updated On: 24 May 2026 | 6:20 AM IST

US Secy of State Rubio invites PM Modi to White House on Trump's behalf

US Ambassador Sergio Gor said Secy Rubio and PM Narendra Modi held discussions on expanding cooperation across strategic sectors

Updated On: 23 May 2026 | 5:29 PM IST

Stephen Colbert's final 'Late Show' will mark the end of an era

Stephen Colbert leaves behind a late-night legacy shaped by political satire, media criticism and America's changing cultural landscape

Updated On: 21 May 2026 | 11:00 PM IST

White House fact sheet on Trump's China visit cites Iran deal, omits Taiwan

The US and China have agreed to set up boards on trade and investment and build a constructive relationship of strategic stability based on fairness and reciprocity, according to a fact sheet by the White House on President Donald Trump's visit to Beijing. The fact sheet, issued on Sunday, said China will address the United States' concerns regarding supply chain shortages related to rare earths and other critical minerals, including yttrium, scandium, neodymium, and indium. It also said that Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping agreed that Iran cannot possess a nuclear weapon, called to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, and agreed that no country or organisation can be allowed to charge tolls. The fact sheet also mentioned that Trump will welcome Xi for a visit to Washington this fall, and both countries will support each other as hosts of the G20 and APEC summits later this year. "President Trump and President Xi confirmed their shared goal to denuclearise North Korea," the fact she

Updated On: 18 May 2026 | 7:12 AM IST

US Senate parliamentarian deals blow to $1 bn White House security proposal

A proposal to fund USD 1 billion in security additions for the White House campus and the president's new ballroom fails to meet procedural rules, according to the Senate parliamentarian, dealing a blow to Republican plans to include it as part of a bill to fund immigration enforcement agencies for the next three years. The parliamentarian's ruling, described late Saturday by Senate Democrats, said that a project as large and complex as President Donald Trump's massive East Wing renovation is too broad to be included in the budget bill, which only needs a simple majority - and no Democratic votes - to pass. It's unclear if Republicans will be able to salvage any part of the billion-dollar Secret Service proposal, which would have funded security for Trump's ballroom along with other parts of the White House, including a new visitor screening centre, training for agents and extra reinforcements for large events. Republicans said Saturday night that they are revising the legislation ..

Updated On: 17 May 2026 | 8:00 PM IST

Trump to undergo annual medical, dental check-up at Walter Reed on May 26

Questions regarding the president's health have arisen from time to time during his second term, particularly after bruises were seen on his hands

Updated On: 12 May 2026 | 8:09 AM IST

WH correspondents' dinner attack accused seeks recusal of top DOJ officials

A man charged with attacking the White House Correspondents' Association dinner is seeking to disqualify top Justice Department officials from direct involvement in prosecuting him because they could be considered victims or witnesses in the case, creating a potential conflict of interest. Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche and US Attorney Jeanine Pirro were attending the April 25 event at the Washington Hilton when Cole Tomas Allen allegedly ran through a security checkpoint and fired a shotgun at a Secret Service officer. In a court filing late Thursday, Allen's attorneys argued that it creates at least the appearance of a conflict of interest for Blanche and Pirro to be making any prosecutorial decisions in the case. "As this case proceeds closer to trial, the country and the world will continue to wonder - how can the American justice system permit a victim to prosecute a criminal defendant in a case involving them?" defense attorneys Eugene Ohm and Tezira Abe wrote. Ohm and

Updated On: 09 May 2026 | 6:58 AM IST

Secret Service officers shoot gunman near White House after he opens fire

The suspect ran, drew a weapon and shot at the officers, who returned fire, striking him

Updated On: 05 May 2026 | 7:27 AM IST

Trump says deadline for Congress to approve Iran war doesn't apply

The White House asserted to Congress in a letter Friday that hostilities with Iran have "terminated" despite the continued presence of U.S. armed forces in the region. The message from President Donald Trump effectively skirts a May 1 legal deadline to gain approval from members of Congress to continue the war with Iran. That deadline was already set to pass without action from Republican lawmakers who are deferring to the president. The letter brings into stark relief the bold but legally questionable assertion of presidential power at the heart of Trump's war, which he began without congressional approval two months ago. "The hostilities that began on February 28, 2026, have terminated," Trump wrote House Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., and Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, the Senate president pro tempore. He also made it clear in the letter that the war may be far from over. "Despite the success of United States operations against the Iranian regime and continued efforts to secure a .

Updated On: 02 May 2026 | 7:04 AM IST

White House opposes Anthropic plan to expand Mythos AI technology access

Members of US President Donald Trump's administration have told Anthropic that they don't agree with the company's plan to grant access to its Mythos technology to roughly 70 companies

Updated On: 30 Apr 2026 | 9:29 AM IST

Funds to pay TSA, Homeland Security workers will soon run out: White House

The White House is warning Congress that funding to pay Department of Homeland Security personnel will "soon run out," sparking new threats of airport disruptions and national security concerns as the House slow-walks legislation to end what has been the longest-ever lapse in agency funding. In a memo late Tuesday to lawmakers, the Office of Management and Budget said money that President Donald Trump tapped to pay Transportation Security Administration and other workers through executive actions will be exhausted by May. It called on the House to quickly approve the budget resolution senators approved in an all-night session last week that would pave the way for full funding for the department. "DHS will soon run out of critical operating funds, placing essential personnel and operations at risk," the memo said. The pressure from the Trump administration could help House Speaker Mike Johnson, whose narrow Republican majority has been stalled out, tangled in internal party disputes

Updated On: 29 Apr 2026 | 10:09 AM IST

White House to review president's security; spotlight on line of succession

A top White House official has convened a meeting of the US Secret Service and the Department of Homeland Security later this week to review security for President Donald Trump after the shooting incident at the annual journalists' dinner on Saturday. The foiled attack at the Washington Hilton hotel, the venue of the White House Correspondents Association Dinner, has also brought into focus the presidential line of succession as several cabinet secretaries were present at the event. Susan Wiles, the White House chief of staff, has called a meeting of the Secret Service and the DHS leadership to discuss protocol and practices as Trump is set to participate in several public events in the run-up to the 250th anniversary of American Independence on July 4. White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said officials had discussed having a designated survivor and the line of succession prior to the White House Correspondents' Association dinner. "But there were several members of the ..

Updated On: 28 Apr 2026 | 8:08 AM IST

White House to review presidential security after shooting incident

US House Speaker Mike Johnson said Monday that leadership at the Secret Service needs to "tighten up." Security at the event seemed a "little lax", he said in an interview with Fox News

Updated On: 27 Apr 2026 | 10:24 PM IST

'Shots fired!': How chaos unfolded at Washington Hilton during press dinner

At that moment on Saturday night, President Trump and many of America's top government officials and journalists were one floor down, crammed into the ballroom for a black-tie dinner

Updated On: 27 Apr 2026 | 9:05 AM IST

Trump claims 'anti-Christian' bias behind White House dinner shooting

The suspect, identified as 31-year-old Cole Tomas Allen, was taken into custody after allegedly breaching a security checkpoint and firing shots before being subdued

Updated On: 27 Apr 2026 | 6:59 AM IST

Trump was likely target of shooting at White House correspondents dinner

The man fired a shotgun at a Secret Service agent at a security checkpoint in the Washington Hilton hotel before being tackled and arrested

Updated On: 27 Apr 2026 | 12:18 AM IST

Who is Cole Allen, the suspect in WH correspondents' dinner shooting?

Allen, approximately 31 years of age, is a resident of Torrance, California, a coastal town that is part of the South Bay area adjacent to Los Angeles abutting Santa Monica Bay

Updated On: 27 Apr 2026 | 12:13 AM IST

No place for violence: World leaders condemn correspondent's dinner firing

World leaders expressed relief that US President Donald Trump, First Lady Melania and other guests were unharmed after a shooting incident at the White House Correspondent's dinner here on Saturday night and asserted that political violence has no place in a democracy. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney, who has had frequent run-ins with Trump, described the shooting incident at the Washington Hilton hotel as a "disturbing event". "I am relieved that the President, the First Lady, and all guests are safe following reports of gunfire at the White House correspondents' dinner in Washington tonight. Political violence has no place in any democracy, and my thoughts are with all those who have been shaken by this disturbing event," Carney said in a post on X. Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum, said it was "good that President Trump and his wife are safe following the recent events". "We send them our respect. Violence must never be the way," Sheinbaum said. Australian Prime Minister

Updated On: 26 Apr 2026 | 1:05 PM IST

Shots fired at White House Correspondents' dinner: What we know so far

Gunfire outside Washington Hilton forces evacuation of Trump, top US leaders; suspect arrested as officials confirm lone-actor theory and say no ongoing public threat

Updated On: 26 Apr 2026 | 11:37 AM IST