Morocco

Morocco seal Women's World Cup spot with 2-1 win over South Africa

Sakina Ouzraoui and Hanane Ait El Haj both scored and Morocco earned a spot in next summer's Women's World Cup with a 2-1 victory over South Africa in the quarterfinals of the Women's Africa Cup of Nations on Saturday. Morocco will face the winner of Sunday's quarterfinal between Nigeria and Cameroon in a semifinal match on Wednesday. Thembi Kgatlana scored the lone goal for South Africa in the 67th minute. She had an earlier chance in the 22nd minute but her shot was just off target. Morocco took the lead in the 32nd minute when Ouzraoui volleyed a shot over South Africa goalkeeper Kaylin Swart. Morocco was awarded a penalty in the 49th minute for Noxolo Cesane's challenge on Ghizlane Chebbak, who was later subbed out of the match with an injury. El Haj converted the penalty kick to give Morocco a 2-0 lead. Kgatlana closed the gap for South Africa with a goal that was awarded following a lengthy video review after she was initially ruled to be offside. Kgatlana has nine goals in

Updated On: 09 Aug 2026 | 10:52 AM IST

US issues travel advisory for Spain's Cueta amid massive migrant crisis

The elevated alert is restricted to Ceuta, which abuts Morocco, while the travel advisory status for mainland Spain and its remaining territories remains unchanged

Updated On: 03 Aug 2026 | 7:40 AM IST

Why thousands of migrants suddenly crossed into Spain through Ceuta

Thousands of migrants crossed into Spain’s North African enclave of Ceuta within hours, putting one of Europe’s most heavily guarded borders under unprecedented pressure.

Updated On: 31 Jul 2026 | 9:35 PM IST
Icon Youtube

Explained: Why thousands crossed into Spain's Ceuta enclave from Morocco

Thousands of migrants entered Spain's enclave of Ceuta from Morocco, forcing Madrid to deploy troops. Here's what led to the border crisis and why people are crossing

Updated On: 31 Jul 2026 | 10:27 AM IST

Spain deploys military as thousands of migrants breach Morocco border

Spain will deploy its military to restore order at its border with Morocco in Ceuta after thousands of migrants streamed into the tiny Spanish territory, with at least nine dying in the attempt. The announcement comes after local authorities in Ceuta had asked the central government in Madrid for reinforcements to manage a border crisis that had been building up before boiling over on Thursday with large crowds of people breeching the border fence. Spain's government said Thursday evening it would send the Armed Forces to help the Civil Guard "to maintain security in the city of Ceuta." It also announced that Spain's Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez would join Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska and visit Ceuta Friday. "The situation is absolute chaos," Rachid Sbihi, head of the association that represents Spain's Civil Guard officers in Ceuta, who police the border told The Associated Press. "It's not possible to give precise numbers, but there are thousands of migrants crossing

Updated On: 31 Jul 2026 | 8:37 AM IST

World Cup QF: France vs Morocco preview, predictions, head-to-head, stats

France have won all five matches and scored 14 goals, but Morocco's fast-break threat, unbeaten run and big-match maturity make this quarterfinal far from routine

Updated On: 09 Jul 2026 | 1:23 PM IST

Netherlands suffer another penalty heartbreak as Morocco reach pre-quarters

Yassine Bounou saved Crysencio Summerville's spot kick before Ismael Saibari scored the winner as Morocco beat the Netherlands 3-2 on penalties

Updated On: 30 Jun 2026 | 12:24 PM IST

Morocco youngest top-ranked Fifa World Cup squad, Brazil oldest: LCP study

Mexico leads in professional footballers and clubs, while the US and Saudi Arabia show rising football depth

Updated On: 25 Jun 2026 | 3:42 PM IST

FIFA WC 2026: Check Morocco's full schedule, squad and team preview here

Achraf Hakimi will once again be the driving force behind Morocco's ambitions at the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

Updated On: 23 May 2026 | 3:12 PM IST

India in talks with Russia, Belarus, Morocco for fertiliser imports: Report

The Middle East accounts for roughly half of India's DAP and urea imports, with Saudi Arabia the largest DAP supplier and Oman the biggest urea supplier

Updated On: 19 Mar 2026 | 4:41 PM IST

Morocco eyes 80,000 visitors from India in 2026; targets group, MICE travel

Morocco is expecting up to 80,000 visitors from India this year, in line with the growth momentum of the previous year, with a focus on group tours, MICE, FIT and older age groups of over 50 years. "We received an overall 20 million international visitors in 2025, of which there were 54,000 Indian travellers. It was over a 31 per cent increase from India from 2024, when we had a footfall of 41,000 visitors from India. In 2024, we hosted 17.4 million international tourists," Moroccan National Tourism Office (MNTO) Country General Manager, India, Jamal Younes Kilito told PTI. The main reason for this growth in footfalls from India can be attributed to our promotions, which began two years back in 2023, and the e-visa facility, he noted. "We set up a tourism office in India in 2023 and began our promotions, and signed many partnerships with Indian tour operators. It resulted in 123 per cent growth in visitor arrivals from India in 2024, as compared with the previous year. It was also .

Updated On: 15 Feb 2026 | 2:38 PM IST

19 killed as two buildings collapse in Morocco's Fes, rescue ops underway

Two four-story buildings collapsed overnight in the Moroccan city of Fes, killing 19 people in the second fatal collapse there this year, authorities said on Wednesday. Morocco's state news agency reported the two residential buildings housed eight families. Sixteen people were injured in the collapse and sent for treatment at a nearby hospital. Authorities said the neighbourhood had been evacuated and search and rescue efforts were ongoing. It was unclear what caused the collapse or how many people were unaccounted for on Wednesday morning. Fes is Morocco's second-largest city and one of the hosts of this month's Africa Cup of Nations and the 2030 FIFA World Cup. It is best known for its walled city packed with medieval souks and tanneries. But beyond tourism, it's also one of the country's poorest urban centres, where aging infrastructure is common in many neighbourhoods. Another collapse in May killed 10 people and injured seven in a building that had already been slated for ...

Updated On: 10 Dec 2025 | 5:32 PM IST

Morocco's Gen Z protesters demand accountability, education reform

Refusing to let the coming wave of fanfare around December's Africa Cup of Nations overshadow their demands, protesters in Morocco urged a boycott of soccer matches at the country's new stadiums. On Saturday, they reiterated previous demands and called for the release of demonstrators arrested during earlier Gen Z 212 protests. After an eight-day pause, hundreds of young demonstrators took to the streets on Saturday as part of an effort to show they remained committed to protesting corruption and subpar healthcare and education. In several cities -- including Casablanca and Tangier -- hundreds of young protesters once again voiced anger at elected officials, demanding the ouster of Prime Minister Aziz Akhannouch, who they called corrupt. The protests, smaller in numbers, came eight days after King Mohammed VI in a speech at Morocco's parliament did not address the Gen Z 212 protests directly. He neither touched on their demands to dismiss Akhannouch nor the stadiums being built for

Updated On: 19 Oct 2025 | 6:13 AM IST

Gen Z anger at ruling elites fuels protests in countries across the world

Protests continued on Friday in Madagascar, where police have killed at least 22 people, even after President Andry Rajoelina sacked his entire government in response to the unrest

Updated On: 04 Oct 2025 | 1:35 PM IST

Two killed as youth-led anti-government protests turn deadly in Morocco

Anti-government demonstrators in Morocco filled the streets for a fifth straight night on Wednesday, as protests over the state of public services descended into deadly violence. Police opened fire at the protesters in a southern town, reportedly in self-defence, killing two people. The deaths in Leqliaa, about 500 kilometres (312 miles) south of the capital of Rabat, were the first fatalities as anger mounts across this North African country over conditions and government spending. Morocco's state news agency, MAP, cited local authorities as saying the two troublemakers were killed by police acting in self-defence. It said those shot were attempting to seize police weapons, though no eyewitnesses could corroborate the report. There were no further details. The demonstrations, organised by a leaderless movement dominated by internet-savvy youth, have taken the country by surprise and emerged as some of Morocco's biggest in years. By midweek, they appeared to be spreading to new ...

Updated On: 02 Oct 2025 | 2:52 PM IST

Tata Advanced Systems opens first overseas defence facility in Morocco

Tata Advanced Systems has set up a new plant in Morocco to produce the DRDO-TASL developed WhAP 8x8, a modern armoured vehicle built for mobility, protection and versatile missions

Updated On: 23 Sep 2025 | 6:21 PM IST

India and Morocco sign defence pact to boost military cooperation

India and Morocco on Monday inked an agreement to boost military cooperation following talks between Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and his Moroccan counterpart Abdeltif Loudiyi. Singh is currently on a visit to Morocco. "Had a very productive meeting with Morocco's Defence Minister Mr. Abdeltif Loudiyi and we signed an MoU on cooperation in field of defence," he said on 'X'. The MoU will provide for an institutional framework to expand and deepen bilateral defence engagement, including exchanges, training, and industrial linkages, officials said. "India's ties with Morocco are growing remarkably over the years. We discussed ways to deepen collaboration in key areas, including counter-terrorism efforts, maritime security, cyber defence and capacity building," Singh added. Singh's visit to Morocco is the first-ever trip to that country by an Indian defence minister. Ties between India and Morocco have gained momentum since King Mohammed VI's meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Mo

Updated On: 22 Sep 2025 | 8:12 PM IST

Rajnath Singh says PoK will naturally come to India without any aggression

The minister noted that the people in the region themselves have been expressing a desire for freedom from the current administration

Updated On: 22 Sep 2025 | 12:51 PM IST

Morocco says it dismantled Islamic State cell that was planning attacks

Moroccan authorities this month arrested a dozen people they said were planning attacks on behalf of the Islamic State in the Sahel, a region south of the Sahara Desert, officials said on Monday. The discovery of the terrorist cell and what authorities called an imminent dangerous terrorist plot reflect the expanding ambitions of extremist groups in the region. Authorities did not provide details of the suspects' motives or their plot, beyond saying they planned to set off bombs remotely. They released photographs and videos showing officers raiding terrorist cells throughout the country. The images showed weapons stockpiles found during police raids, Islamic State flags drawn on walls, and thousands of dollars of cash. Morocco remains a major target in the agenda of all terrorist organisations operating in the Sahel, Habboub Cherkaoui, the head of Morocco's Central Bureau of Judicial Investigations, said at a news conference. Militant groups have been expanding their presence in

Updated On: 25 Feb 2025 | 10:47 AM IST

Boat carrying migrants capsizes near Morocco; over 40 Pakistanis dead

Pakistan on Thursday said that a boat carrying 80 migrants attempting to reach Spain capsized near Morocco, with over 40 Pakistanis reportedly among the dead. Migrant rights group Walking Borders said as many as 50 migrants may have drowned. Moroccan authorities rescued 36 people a day earlier from a boat that had left Mauritania on January 2 with 86 migrants, including 66 Pakistanis. Forty-four of those presumed to have drowned were from Pakistan, Walking Borders CEO Helena Maleno said on X. They spent 13 days of anguish on the crossing without anyone coming to rescue them, she said. The Pakistan Foreign Office said in a statement that its embassy in Morocco was in touch with the local authorities. Our Embassy in Rabat (Morocco) has informed us that a boat carrying 80 passengers, including several Pakistani nationals, setting off from Mauritania, has capsized near the Moroccan port of Dakhla. Several survivors, including Pakistanis, are lodged in a camp near Dakhla, it said. It

Updated On: 16 Jan 2025 | 10:35 PM IST