In a phone conversation with his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi on June 17, Jaishankar had said the violence and casualties were the outcomes of “premeditated and planned action” by Chinese troops aimed at changing the status quo along the line of actual control (LAC).
On Tuesday, as corps commander-level talks on the two sides wound down after 11 hours of conversation, it was clear India was seeking to lower military temperatures while keeping up an economic offensive.
Although New Delhi has launched a variety of measures, mostly economic, to make China pay for its actions on the border, interestingly, members of the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP), which brings together the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), with China as a prime mover, said India should return to the organisation. India had pulled out of talks in November last year but members have said the door remains open for New Delhi.