Explore Business Standard
Associate Sponsors
Co-sponsor
Employees and workers associated with a joint forum of central trade unions held protests in Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh on Thursday against the Centre's labour reforms and economic policies. Calling the Centre's policies "pro-corporate", the union representatives held an agitation at Chandigarh's Sector 17 and raised slogans against the Union government. They were holding placards mentioning "We reject labour codes" and "We oppose anti-labour codes". In Ludhiana, the Punjab Bank Employees' Federation (PBEF) organised a massive rally at the Bharat Nagar Chowk. Demonstrations were also held at many places in Haryana, including Sonipat, Rohtak and Hisar. However, banks and roadways buses functioned normally at most places in the state. The president of All India State Government Employees Federation, Subhash Lamba, claimed a "very good response" after workers associated with the forum held a protest at various places. In the industrial sector, several workers in Manesar, Gurugra
A nationwide strike called by central trade unions on Thursday failed to evoke any response in West Bengal as vehicles plied normally and state government and private offices recorded usual turnout. A joint forum of 14 central trade unions called for the strike to demand the repeal of the four labour codes and the withdrawal of several policies affecting workers and farmers. Employees and teachers from central and state civil services, workers' groups from central and state public sector undertakings, and independent trade unions also supported the bandh call. Private and state-run vehicles plied normally in Kolkata and other districts, while schools remained open. CPI(M)'s student wing SFI staged demonstrations in front of the gates of Jadavpur and Presidency universities to support the bandh call amid heavy deployment of police forces to prevent any untoward incident. With Thursday being the first day for the state board's class 12 examinations, police and transporters ensured t
Shiv Sena (UBT) chief Uddhav Thackeray on Friday expressed disagreement with a Bombay High Court order restraining political parties from calling a bandh, but asserted the opposition bloc MVA has withdrawn its proposed shutdown in Maharashtra on Saturday over a sexual abuse case in a school. Addressing a press conference, Thackeray said the Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) has called off the August 24 (Saturday) bandh after the HC order, but leaders and workers from opposition parties will protest against the Mahayuti government with black bands tied around their mouth across the state. The former CM, whose party is a constituent of the MVA, said he will also join the protest. "We don't agree with the High Court order on bandh," Thackeray maintained. Earlier in the day, the HC restrained political parties or individuals from proceeding with a Maharashtra bandh over the sexual assault incident, on August 24 or any future date, saying such a protest will paralyse normal life. A division ben
Shiv Sena (UBT) chief Uddhav Thackeray on Friday demanded the withdrawal of the cases against those who had protested in Badlapur against the alleged sexual abuse of two kindergarten girls at a local school. Addressing a news conference, Thackeray said the August 24 Maharashtra Bandh' called by the opposition bloc Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) is against "perversion" and urged people cutting across caste and religion to participate in it. He said the bandh should be strictly followed till 2 pm, ensuring that emergency services remain operational. Slamming the Eknath Shinde government for still making arrests in connection with the Badlapur protest, Thackeray said, The cases against the protesters must be withdrawn. A massive protest rocked Badlapur town in Thane district on Tuesday after thousands of people hit the streets and spilled onto railway tracks to protest the alleged sexual assault of two four-year-old girls by a male attendant at a local school. At least 25 police personnel w
Samajwadi Party president Akhilesh Yadav on Wednesday backed the day-long Bharat Bandh called by some groups over community-based reservation, noting that "public movements" put a check on "unbridled government". The former Uttar Pradesh chief minister took to social media platform X to share his views on the issue. "The mass movement to protect reservation is a positive effort. It will instill new consciousness among the exploited and deprived and will prove to be a shield of people's power against any kind of tampering with reservation. Peaceful movement is a democratic right," he posted in Hindi. "Baba Saheb Bhimrao Ambedkar had already warned that the Constitution will only work if the intentions of those implementing it are correct. When the governments in power will tamper with the Constitution and the rights given by it through fraud, scams and scandals, then the public will have to take to the streets. Public movements put a check on unbridled government," Yadav ...
The Bahujan Samaj Party on Wednesday extended support to the day-long Bharat Bandh called by some Dalit and Adivasi groups to protest against the Supreme Court's recent verdict on the sub-classification of Scheduled Castes (SCs). The party also accused the BJP and the Congress of colluding to end reservation. It said these parties and others should understand the necessity of reservation and not play with it. "BSP supports the Bharat Bandh because there is anger and resentment against the Supreme Court's August 1 decision regarding the sub-classification of SC/ST and the creamy layer among them due to the conspiracy against reservation by parties like BJP and Congress and their collusion to make it ineffective and eventually end it," BSP president Mayawati said in a post in Hindi on X. "In this regard, the people of these classes will submit a memorandum to the government today as part of the Bharat Bandh and strongly demand that the changes made in reservation be abolished through