WebinarsNew
Explore Business Standard
The Delhi High Court on Friday granted three-day interim bail to activist Umar Khalid, who is in custody in a case under anti-terror law UAPA concerning the "larger conspiracy" behind the February 2020 riots in the city's northeastern parts. A bench of Justices Prathiba M Singh and Madhu Jain permitted Khalid to be released from June 1 to June 3 to enable him to meet his mother who has to undergo a surgery. The bench noted that the Supreme Court rejected Khalid's regular bail plea on January 5 but granted him the reprieve by taking an "empathetic view." "Taking an empathetic view, this court is inclined to grant him interim bail for three days from June 1 to June 3 to enable the appellant to spend time with his mother," the court concluded. ASG S V Raju, appearing for Delhi Police, argued that Khalid's mother has to undergo a minor surgey and he should be permitted to visit her with a police escort. The court was hearing Khalid's appeal against the trial court's May 19 order that
An Australian judge fined X Corp 650,000 Australian dollars (USD 465,000) on Thursday for failing to provide information to an online safety watchdog in 2023 about how it tackled child sexual exploitation content. Federal Court Justice Michael Wheelahan also ordered the Texas-based social media giant to pay AUD 100,000 (USD 71,000) of eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant's court costs within 45 days. The ruling ends a three-year legal battle in which X had argued it was not obliged to answer eSafety's questions. X admitted it contravened Australia's Online Safety Act by failing to provide a report that fully answered questions posed by eSafety in a transparency notice issued on Feb. 22, 2023, the agency's lawyer Christopher Tran said. X had to provide the answers by March 29 that year. X's lawyer Perry Herzfeld told the judge eSafety did not allege that the contravening conduct continued after May 5, 2023. "That was a period of change and transition for the company," Herzfeld sa
The Centre has appointed noted lawyer Karambir Singh Nalwa as Special Public Prosecutor to lead the trial in Pahalgam terror attack case, which claimed the lives of 25 tourists and a local pony operator on April 22 last year. The development comes on the first anniversary of the deadly terror attack. In an order notified on Wednesday, the Union Home Ministry said it exercised the powers under the National Investigation Agency Act, 2008 and Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS), 2023 to appoint senior advocate Nalwa as Special Public Prosecutor (SPP) for conducting trial and other matters related to the case on behalf of the agency in NIA special court, Jammu and the High Court of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh. The appointment is for a period of three years or till the completion of trial of the case or till the satisfaction of NIA with the performance of the SPP, whichever is earlier, it said. The NIA had filed a comprehensive chargesheet against six people and two terrorist ...
The centerpiece of US President Donald Trump's economic policy sweeping taxes on global imports is under legal assault again. The US Court of International Trade, a specialised court in New York, heard oral arguments on Friday in an attempt to overturn the temporary tariffs Trump turned to after the Supreme Court in February struck down his preferred choice even bigger, even more sweeping tariffs. In his first attempt to impose global tariffs, the president last year invoked the 1977 International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), using the law to declare America's longstanding trade deficit a national emergency and to impose double-digit worldwide taxes on imports to combat it. He interpreted the law broadly to justify tariffs of whatever size he wanted, whenever he wanted to impose them, on whatever country he wanted to target. The Supreme Court struck those tariffs down on February 20, saying IEEPA did not authorise the use of tariffs to counter national emergencies. Bu
A federal judge on Wednesday handed down a sentence of 15 years in prison to a woman who pleaded guilty to selling actor Matthew Perry the ketamine that killed him in 2023. "You're going to have to show some epic resilience," Judge Sherilyn Peace Garnett said to Jasveen Sangha, echoing the defendant's words earlier in the hearing about her self-improvement. Citing the unique role Sangha admitted to playing in Perry's death and her broader drug-dealing business, the judge gave the 42-year-old a sentence that will almost certainly be more than all four of her co-defendants combined. The hearing Wednesday in a Los Angeles courtroom was in many ways the pinnacle of the two-and-a-half year investigation and prosecution that followed the overdose death of the 54-year-old actor, whose role as Chandler Bing on NBC's 'Friends' in the 1990s and 2000s made him one of the biggest television stars of the era. Keith Morrison, Perry's stepfather and correspondent for NBC's 'Dateline', told the ju
A court in Goa has rejected the anticipatory bail pleas of Saurabh Luthra and Gaurav Luthra, owners of the fire-ravaged Birch by Romeo Lane nightclub, in a case involving the alleged forgery of documents to obtain an excise licence. The additional sessions court in Mapusa on Friday rejected the petition filed by the brothers, their advocate Parag Rao said. The Luthras owned Birch by Romeo Lane nightclub in Arpora village of North Goa, where a fire broke out on December 6, 2025, killing 25 people and injuring 50 others. The brothers, who had fled to Thailand after the fire and were deported from that nation on December 17, are currently in Colvale central jail in North Goa. While the Anjuna police were investigating the duo in connection with the fire, the Mapusa police registered a case of forgery, accusing them of providing forged documents to obtain a licence from the excise department for the nightclub. Talking to reporters, advocate Rao said the judge announced that both their
Artificial intelligence company Anthropic is asking a federal judge on Tuesday to temporarily halt the Pentagon's "unprecedented and stigmatising" designation of the company as a supply chain risk. A hearing scheduled for Tuesday in a California federal court marks a critical step in the feud between Anthropic and the Trump administration over how the company's AI technology could be used in war. Anthropic sued earlier this month to stop the Trump administration from enforcing what the company calls an "unlawful campaign of retaliation" over its refusal to allow unrestricted military use of its technology. The company is asking US District Judge Rita Lin for an emergency order that would temporarily reverse the Pentagon's decision to designate the AI company a "supply chain risk". Anthropic also seeks to undo President Donald Trump's order directing all federal employees, not just those in the military, to stop using its AI chatbot Claude. Lin is presiding over the case in federal
A federal court on Monday rejected the Trump administration's attempt to slow the process of refunding billions of dollars' worth of tariffs the Supreme Court struck down as illegal last month. The US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit started the next phase in the refund process by sending it to a lower court to sort out. In a court filing Friday, Trump's Justice Department had urged the Federal Circuit to proceed cautiously and hold off for 90 days. But the judges refused. The Supreme Court ruled Feb 20 that Trump's sweeping tariffs on most countries in the world were illegal, clearing the way for the importers who paid them to seek refunds. The government had collected more than USD 130 billion from the tariffs by mid-December, and could ultimately be on the hook for refunds worth USD 175 billion, according to calculations by the Penn Wharton Budget Model. But the Supreme Court offered no guidance on refunds; its decision did not even mention them. Now the US Court of ...
Nick Reiner, the 32-year-old son of Hollywood luminary Rob Reiner and Michele Singer Reiner, pleaded not guilty to two counts of first-degree murder more than two months after their deaths, denying for the first time that he fatally stabbed his parents. Reiner's attorney, Deputy Public Defender Kimberly Greene, on Monday entered the plea on his behalf as he stood behind glass in an enclosed custody area of the packed Los Angeles courtroom. The third of Rob Reiner's four children, Nick Reiner has been held without bail since his arrest hours after beloved actor-director Reiner and photographer and producer Singer were found dead on December 14 at their home in the upscale Brentwood section of Los Angeles. Reiner appeared in court with a shaved head and light facial hair, wearing brown jail clothes. He talked to his lawyer briefly through the glass before the judge began the hearing. At one point a low door in the enclosure was opened and they crouched down and spoke face-to-face. ..
The Kerala High Court has come to the aid of a couple seeking medical termination of their over 31 weeks old foetus, which suffers from congenital abnormalities of the brain and head, by allowing them to go ahead with the procedure. Justice Shoba Annamma Eapen allowed termination of the pregnancy on the basis of a medical board report which opined that if the baby is born, it would suffer from serious physical abnormalities. The board had also opined that continuation of the pregnancy was likely to be associated with risk to her mental health. The court, after considering the facts, materials on record, the settled principles of law on the subject and the recommendations of the medical board, was of the view that denying termination "may only delay the inevitable and extend the suffering of the family". It directed the Kottayam Medical College to terminate the pregnancy. The court directed the medical college to take immediate measures to constitute a medical team to conduct the .
President Donald Trump is seeking more than USD 6.2 million in attorney fees and costs from the Fulton County District Attorney's office stemming from the election interference case brought against him and others that was recently dismissed. Georgia state legislators last year passed a law that says that if a prosecutor is disqualified from a case because of their own improper conduct and the case is then dismissed, anyone charged in that case is entitled to recoup all reasonable attorney's fees and costs incurred in their defense. Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis and her office were removed from the case over an appearance of impropriety created by a romantic relationship she had with the special prosecutor she chose to lead the case. The prosecutor who took over the case late last year dismissed it in November. In accordance with Georgia law, President Trump has moved the Court to award reasonable attorney fees and costs incurred in his defense of the politically ...
Chief Justice of India Surya Kant said on Friday that mediation is increasingly being accepted as a successful, cost-effective and win-win settlement for both litigating parties. He was speaking after taking part in a symbolic walk for Mediation Awareness' near Kala Academy in Panaji. Later in the day, he will participate in the conference Mediation: How significant in the present-day context', organised by the India International University of Legal Education and Research at Sancoale village in South Goa. Mediation is being accepted as successful and cost-effective. It is a win-win situation for both parties as it is a settlement, he said. The CJI said that in the case of mediation, no mediator will impose anything on any party. It is only what they desire or what they want, he said. CJI Kant said the SC has launched the Mediation for Nation' initiative to send out a message to stakeholders. (The message is) not only for the consumers of justice but also for direct stakeholders l