WebinarsNew
Deep DiveNew
Explore Business Standard
Iran had prepared for a potential war with the US for four decades, including contingencies such as the loss of its top leadership, making it difficult for its adversaries to decimate the country, an Indian military expert has said. Speaking at an interactive session in Washington organised by Observer Research Foundation (ORF) America on Friday, retired Indian Army officer Lt General KJS Dhillon said Iran had retained the capability for "attritional warfare" despite suffering heavy losses in the conflict with the US and Israel. Dhillon, who previously served as the head of India's defence intelligence agency, said one of the key lessons from the war was the need for a clearly defined national aim and a well-planned exit strategy. "Before you initiate a war, knowing a few things beforehand are a must. Your declared national aim should be clear to yourself, your military and the people in the government. There should also be clarity on the end stage where one can declare victory," he
The new leader of Iran's top security body is threatening neighbours against joining new US efforts to squeeze Tehran's economy. Egypt is trying to revive Iran-US negotiations. And Iraq and Iran say Tehran has helped some ships carrying Iraqi oil to transit the Strait of Hormuz. France and Saudi Arabia are expected to discuss plans to bypass the waterway. Meanwhile, Israel has carried out strikes in Syria and in Gaza. Here's a look at the latest developments in the Iran war and the wider Middle East on Saturday. Full coverage can be found here. Iran's new top security adviser issues threats ---------------------------------------------- The hard-line new leader of Iran's Supreme National Security Council threatened Tehran's neighbours against joining the new US effort to hurt Iran's economy, and accused the United States of increasing global nuclear insecurity with months of war. "If (Trump) wants to do something, we will retaliate in a seismic manner," he said in an interview w
US President Donald Trump has again threatened Oman as Iran says it is working with the Gulf Arab country on a plan to manage shipping through the Strait of Hormuz. Meanwhile, the 60-day negotiating period to find a peace deal between the US and Iran is expiring, with no word of an extension and both sides seemingly as far apart as they were at the start. Here's a look at the latest developments in the Iran war: Finalising deal with Oman on Strait of Hormuz: Iran ------------------------------------------------------------- Iran said it has reached an agreement with Oman over a plan for ships to transit the Strait of Hormuz, which runs between the two countries, and they are now working to finalise details for a joint statement. Iran foreign ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei told reporters in Tehran that "an understanding has been reached regarding the map of the transit route." He did not elaborate, but details that have previously emerged suggest the deal would reopen the s