Videocon plant at Butibori gutted

Explore Business Standard

| However, no casualty has been reported so far. |
| The plant, built by Voltas in 1984, was taken over by the Indian arm of Swedish multinational, AB Electrolux in 1998. It changed hands recently and is now a Videocon group unit. |
| Security guards with Ex-servicemen multi-purpose services Pvt Ltd, which has a training facility near the unit, noticed thick smoke coming out from the EKL premises early morning. |
| They informed the fire station and rushed to put out the fire. By the time the firemen reached the spot, most of the unit was engulfed by fire. |
| The entire testing line, store rooms, records, computers, gearbox machines and finished goods were soon reduced to ashes. Fibre materials used in assembling washing machines, too, melted in the heat. |
| Two fire tenders from Indo Rama's unit nearby and three from Nagpur Fire Brigade were also pressed into service.It took them over six hours to put out the fire. |
| The firemen said an electric short circuit might have caused the fire. |
| It was not known whether the unit was insured or not. No senior executive of the company was available to give the details of loss or the possible cause of fire. |
| The working hours at the unit were from 9 am to 5 pm. The unit had 19 regular workers and 10 odd workers employed on a temporary basis. The plant had a production capacity of 500 units of washing machines per month. Sources said production will be resumed once the losses are estimated. |
| Butibori police have meanwhile registered a case and are investigating further. |
First Published: Feb 16 2006 | 12:00 AM IST