Police denies repeat blast at Pingla firecracker factory
Press Trust of India Kolkata Police today dismissed reports of a blast at the same firecracker factory at Pingla in West Midnapore district of West Bengal where 12 people were killed and four others injured in an explosion last Thursday.
"There is no blast here today. It's just a few small firecrackers which went off because of the extremely hot and dry weather in West Midnapore district. It happened at around 2 PM," district Superintendent of Police Bharati Ghosh told PTI.
These firecrackers were seized from the factory and kept for reference for probe into last week's explosion, she said.
There was no report of anybody being injured in the incident and ample police force is guarding the factory, Ghosh added.
Thursday's explosion is being probed by the CID under orders from Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee. The owner of the illegal factory, Ranjan Maiti, has been arrested.