Explore Business Standard
Responding to Prime Minister Narendra Modi's call for austerity in view of rising global fuel prices, Delhi Chief Minister Rekha Gupta on Tuesday announced limits on official vehicles used by ministers, MLAs and other public representatives, while also bringing herself under the restrictions. In a post on X, the chief minister said it had been decided to limit the number of vehicles used for official purposes. Gupta said that in line with the prime minister's appeal, she herself, her Cabinet colleagues, BJP MLAs, public representatives, officers and Delhi government departments would minimise the use of official vehicles based on necessity and prioritise carpooling and public transport. She also urged Delhi residents to adopt carpooling and make greater use of buses and Metro services instead of private vehicles in view of the prevailing global energy supply uncertainty. Gupta's appeal came after Prime Minister Narendra Modi called for measures such as promoting work from home, ...
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has significantly reduced his convoy size, days after he made an appeal for austerity and urged the citizens to curb the use of fuel-driven vehicles. A downsizing in the prime minister's convoy was implemented in his recent domestic visits, official sources said. The reduction was done while maintaining essential security components as per SPG protocol. Modi's convoy size was cut in Gujarat and Assam, immediately after his speech in Hyderabad. Sources said the prime minister also asked for electric vehicles to be included in his convoy, where possible, without making new purchases. Amid the crisis in West Asia, Modi on Sunday made a push for austerity while addressing a rally organised by the Telangana BJP in Hyderabad. The prime minister suggested reducing petrol and diesel consumption, using metro rail services in cities, carpooling, increased use of electric vehicles, utilising railway services for parcel movement, and working from home to conserve