Army stages flag march, Modi says situation under control in Vadodara

Explore Business Standard

| Two column of Indian army conducted flag march in the riot affect areas of the Vadodara city. |
| The chief minister of Gujarat, Narendra Modi, visited Vadodara to interact and console the riot victims in the SSG Hospital. |
| As soon as he landed in Vadodara at 2pm, his convoy rushed to the riot affected areas to take the first hand view of the situation. |
| However, his convoy only visited Nyay Mandir area of the city which is less sensitive as compared to the other riot affected areas like Fathepur, Yakutpura and Navapura. |
| Talking to media, Modi said, "I have taken present stock of the situation and it seems that the situation in Vadodara is under control." |
| He further said, "I am in continuous touch with the central home ministry and we have asked for central forces here." |
| Informing about the state government decision, he said, "As a precautionary measure, we have asked the Centre to send Army in Vadodara to conduct flag march along with the local police." |
| Explaining the urgency of bringing troops from the Centre, he said, "The main reason to call the central force is due to the absence of 24 battalion of state police force that had been deployed on election duty in Kerela, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal." |
| Referring to the history of Vadodara, he further said, "The city is well-known as the cultural city of Gujarat." |
| Reminding the people about the perquisite of peace for development and progress, he said, "We all expect that this cultural city will soon bring the peace which is necessary for its progress." |
| While on the other hand he warned the miscreant to back off and observe abstain from violence. He also appealed to the people of the city to maintain peace. |
| He said, "I have asked the police officials to take stringent steps against the arsonists and miscreant who are trying create disturbance." |
| When a section of media questioned him about the recent Gujarat high court order on demolition of structure at encroachment areas, he shrugged off by saying, "No final decision of Gujarat high court has been given and it would be premature to give any comment when the matter is still in court." |
| He said, "I can not play the role of a judge by giving any comment on the matter." |
| While showing his displeasure on the unfortunate event that took place with the people he said he had a satisfactory interaction with the riot victims in the hospitals. |
| When asked by the press, about compensation to the injured and the dead people, giving a unclear reply, he said, "The law will take its due course and after that all the matter will be settled." |
| But when repeatedly asked whether there would be any judicial inquiry on the entire riot episode, he rather decided to remain mute on the question. |
| However on the third day the Vadodara witness some clam down in temperament but sporadic incidence continued to take place in isolation. |
| Till now a total 10 battalion of SRP, RAF and BSF has been deployed in addition to local police force and Indian army. |
First Published: May 04 2006 | 12:00 AM IST